Tights/bib advice - about to buy

mr_x_plosion
mr_x_plosion Posts: 46
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
I'm looking for something to keep me a bit warmer during the colder days, I heard that bibs can be more comfortable so was considering these. Its size im worried about, I have noticed cycling clothes come small.

Im 6' 1" but only a 32-33" waist, I have pretty long legs, I tryed aldi cycling tights in Large and XLarge and both were too short in the leg.

Advice on sizing would be great

I have been looking at the following, all around the £30-40 mark.

Adidas Cycling Performance ClimaWarm Bib Tights
Altura Airstream Bib Tight

Altura Winter Cruiser - not bib

Im still new to cycling and all I have used before is baggy shorts.

Once again thanks in advance.

Nick

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    dhb ones from wiggle are good quality - about £20 now.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Sadly only in XXL now, the new range is out but are £30, will they be good? better than the others? Any clue on sizes? The large is the right height for me, I was thinking of trying them.

Thanks, you seem to be helping me a lot today :)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The DHB ones are good, extra layers over knees, good pad, fleecy inside. I have large, and the legs are a bit long (but they just go under my heel) but the body part is a snug fit (I am fairly short at 5'10" but have a 34" waist). If you are much bigger than this go for XL.
  • redddraggon
    Thanks, you seem to be helping me a lot today :)

I try my best....... I'm quite new to this cycling thing myself so I've only just learnt some of this stuff recently - sometimes the hard way.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Thanks for the help, im ordering the DHB ones.
  • sbullett
    sbullett Posts: 139
    If you're anywhere near a branch of Decathlon check out their shorts, tghts and bibs. Generally pretty good quality and usually cheaper than anything my LBS has. It has the big advantage that you can try stuff on too.....
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Thanks for the help, im ordering the DHB ones.

Good choice
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Why not try and buy at your LBS? Might end up paying slightly more than if you buy online, but at least the clothes will fit and your LBS will be there for you to borrow tools from in the future. If you worry about the price difference, most shops will offer a discount inline with online prices.
  • My LBS is too far away from me, I cant drive and they are way more expensive.

Tools arent a problem as my dad is a mechanic.
  • i have the dhb ones too and they are good. Word of caution (hope I'm not too late) on the sizing. It might be worth going one size bigger than their sizing chart suggests. On paper I'm a perfect large but in reality I need the XL size. In my experience anyway.
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • redddraggon
    i have the dhb ones too and they are good. Word of caution (hope I'm not too late) on the sizing. It might be worth going one size bigger than their sizing chart suggests. On paper I'm a perfect large but in reality I need the XL size. In my experience anyway.

I'm the other way. I'm normally a large or extra large, but my medium dhb tights fit me fine. I guess they stretch so it's that important.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • The Large were a bit small so I sent them back and have XL on the way.

The quality was good though, very impressed with them.

Sadly I wont get to try them for nearly 2 weeks now as im off on holiday.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I would suggest the "Lusso" range, they are forgiving and have foot loops that keep the legs in position.

I am 6' 2", but with a more "mature" weight distribution (38" waist) and find the XXL fine for me.

The other advantage with Lusso is that many LBS stock them and it is usually possible to try them on.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)