Hello & Name that frame!

KarlosVanDango
KarlosVanDango Posts: 11
edited October 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I've got myself a little project of building a bike, it's going to be a mixture of vintage and new.

Never built one before so could do with a little help along the way if you don't mind!

I've got the following frame (which I believe to be a Stumpjumper 2001ish, can anyone confirm exactly what frame/year it is and an approx value??)
I'm thinking about getting it stripped & re-powder coated, if so can anyone recommend a place to get this done plus does anyone know where I can get replacement bearings for the frame?
BikeFrame-1.jpg

So far I have got a pair of Marzocchi Bomber Z3 QR20 forks (do I need to get an adaptor to run IS fitting disks with these?), next on my list is a FSA Pig DH Pro headset, Thomson Elite X4 stem (100mm 0deg) and a Race Face Evolve Riser.

Brakes will probably be a Juicy 5 or 7 option, not too sure about the rest just yet!

Many thanks!

Comments

• Specialized rockhopper fsr 2005 me thinks. http://tinyurl.com/23vpaq
    The frame that you stated apparently looks more like this... http://tinyurl.com/2cj8db.

So, What do I win?
    <hr>

Do what you fear, you won\'t regret it.

You are only as brave as your skill level.
  • Hmmm...

A bit more searching and I've found this: http://www.epinions.com/bicycles_2002_Specialized_Stumpjumper_FSR_XC_Comp#

Pretty certain this is the one, a 2002 Stumpjumper FSR XC.

Any help with the other bits greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
  • So it does, looks like the bike I found was under the wrong name on old googlay, sorry. :(
    <hr>

• garsr6
    garsr6 Posts: 135
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2005&spid=20882

i think this is the one, 2002 mate.

https://www.betd.co.uk/product_list.asp?CategoryID=112 for bearings.

i would think you will need an adaptor for forks, and theres a guy on ebay who does powdercoats/frame spraying. just look under bikeparts then frames i cant be arsed looking. i think that frames already been re sprayed? :wink:
  • fabienno1 wrote:
    So it does, looks like the bike I found was under the wrong name on old googlay, sorry. :(

No worries, thanks looking. No prizes I'm afraid tho :D
    garsr6 wrote:
    https://www.betd.co.uk/product_list.asp?CategoryID=112 for bearings.
    i would think you will need an adaptor for forks, and theres a guy on ebay who does powdercoats

Perfect, thanks for the link. Thought I may need an adaptor, think they're about £16 irc. I've email that ebay guy actually, total is about £50 all in, this includes stripping & powder coat. Sound fair?
  • garsr6
    yup that sounds ok, if they do a good job. i just found it today so dont know how good they will be.
  • Can anyone give a ball park figure as to the value of the frame?
  • fabienno1
    fabienno1 Posts: 406
    Unfortunately it is against the rules to ask that sort of a question. However, as you are new I don't think it'll matter too much. Personally, I would say £50-£100.
    <hr>

• fabienno1 wrote:
    Unfortunately it is against the rules to ask that sort of a question. However, as you are new I don't think it'll matter too much. Personally, I would say £50-£100.
    Sorry! Had no idea :oops:
    Paid £75 so bang on me thinks, I was just curious really.

It's now in bits almost ready for a powder coat, nightmare getting the bearings out though, still a couple not willing to come out :evil:
    I will win though!
  • i recently had my frame powdercoated and it only cost £20 including preparation.
    Not a 100% job but a good 95%.

The place is in birmingham, its called bourne powdercoatings.
  • Well good bargain
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    thats a nice looking frame and a very reasonable price me thinks. good luck with the rest of the bearings!! what colour are you getting it done in?
  • thats a nice looking frame and a very reasonable price me thinks. good luck with the rest of the bearings!! what colour are you getting it done in?
    Thanks!
    I've found a place very local to me that'll do it for £40 all in which saves on the hastle of packing & postage. Still not sure on colour just yet, I've gone from a chrome effect, to black, to yellow, I have a yellow Westfield that I also built, so it would be in keeping with that theme perhaps...
  • garsr6
    white would be nice, i see a lot of white bikes around just now seems to be quite popular. you can buy new decals for it from ebay when its done too to make it look a bit more original.

did you have a look around betd site ?you might be able to get a link to increase travel on your rear end aswell if you fancy. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    i have a betd linkage on the back of my stumpy which increased travel to 130 mm and is a lovely piece of machining.

my colour reccommendation would be matt black, with gloss black decals for a stealth look.
  • garsr6 wrote:
    did you have a look around betd site ?you might be able to get a link to increase travel on your rear end aswell if you fancy.

Defiantly fancy a bit of that, I was wondering where I'd find one. Thanks for the heads up.
    i have a betd linkage on the back of my stumpy which increased travel to 130 mm and is a lovely piece of machining.

my colour reccommendation would be matt black, with gloss black decals for a stealth look.

Hmmm... I'm liking the sound of that a lot, that could be the way to go, nice idea.
  • Hi again,

If I were to get the Betd linkage could someone recommend a rear shock that I should go for, I'd be getting 100mm & 120mm of travel. (Currently have a Fox Float R though I have no idea if it's ok or not?)

Mainly XC & single track for aroung the £100 mark.

Many thanks
  • Anonymous
    i would recommend you kept your shock, send it to tf tuning or mojo and they will service it for you, it would be as good as new and would cost around 100 knicker iirc