Making my hybrid faster and more road

mr_x_plosion
mr_x_plosion Posts: 46
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
I have a Scott SUB 20 hybrid and I was thinking of making it more road based. I want to be faster.

I kinda wish now I had gone for a road bike, but its a bit late now.

My bike has 700 x 32c tyres at the moment, would I gain much dropping down, I have seen 23c suggested a bit, whats a good tyre to go for and how much advantage would I gain over 32c? Will there be more risk of me buckling a wheel?

What else could I change? I dont really have much to spend, I thought the tyres could be an affordable start.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

Nick

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You'd probably need narrower rims for 23mm, if you've got 32mm on now.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Oh no :( what other tyre choice do I have?

This is the spec I found listed
    Spokes: DT 1.8mm black - Rims: Alex SUB 700C 32H black anodised cnc - Tyres: Maxxis Columbiere M-204 700x32C blk.

Is the 32H the width?
  • redddraggon
    http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

There's a chart there for recommended tyre widths. Depending on what width the rims you have, you might be OK with 23mm.

25mm is probably just as good a choice for your bike.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • OK thanks, I will try to measure my rims or look if they have any sizes on them.

If 25c will fit ok whats a good tyre to go for? I presume I dont need a folding tyre?

Continental Ultra Gator Duraskin any good?

Cheers

edit - just looked, my wheels are 622 x 17.
  • redddraggon
    Folding is so much better than wired. Easier to get on the rim, lighter, easier to store and post etc.

on the choice of tyre - everyone has own favoured one. I use Conti GP4000s in 25mm, but a lot of people like the Michelin Pro Race 2.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    Another tip for going faster:

do you have clipless pedals? I've sped up a lot since I got some.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Yes I just got some last week, just waiting on my shoes now, I have a turbo trainer on the way too as I need to modify my legs too lol.

Thanks for your help, I will start looking into 25c tyres, I will need new tubes too.

Could always sell my Scott and look for a road bike but its money I dont really have, my bike is only £330 new now, mine has only done about 230 miles so far, its like new.

Nick
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    I have a Scott SUB 20 hybrid and I was thinking of making it more road based. I want to be faster.

I kinda wish now I had gone for a road bike, but its a bit late now.

My bike has 700 x 32c tyres at the moment, would I gain much dropping down, I have seen 23c suggested a bit, whats a good tyre to go for and how much advantage would I gain over 32c? Will there be more risk of me buckling a wheel?

With just 230 miles under yr belt, there's probably still a lot to be gained with the kit you've already got. There's a good rear cassette on yr bike and you could get a bigger front crankset when you've really got to the limit. With a cadence of 90bpm in the current top gears ( 48 front / 11 rear ) you'll be over 30mph

I used my 700x32c tyres until they lost all tread and when they were pumped up hard, they ran as well as the 28 that I eventually replaced them with. I can't say they made a great deal of difference either way, but I feel the bumps a but more !
  • redddraggon
    Couple more things that can get you going faster:

Cycle computer - you try and force yourself to faster, it works for me at least.

Good pump - track pump can help you get the correct pressures in the tyres.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Thanks for the replies.

Looks like im on the right track as my track pump is due to arrive tomorrow.

I'll stick with my tyres for now and train over the winter, then next spring i'll look at changing tyres or just changing to a road bike.

Cheers guys.
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    One cheap thing you could perhaps do is rotate the stem to get a sightly more aerodynamic position.
  • just fit 23mm tyres on it, it'll be fine. Pump them up to a good pressure, get clipless pedals and then there won't be much difference between that and a road bike.