Helmets - yes or no?

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited December 2007 in Commuting chat
I don't intend this to be an argument on the pointless of wearing helmets or the reverse.

It would just be interesting to see what sort of numerical split there is, on the forum at least.
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• Yes for me! Has to be personal choice though, always made the kids wear them, I didnt when I was halfway round a roundabout and taken from the left by a chavmobile, used my face as an auxilary brake.... some say it improved my looks!
  • redddraggon
    It's looking like more people wear a helmet than don't.

I normally wear a helmet, but I'm tempted to go out in the morning without one and what sort of difference there is.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I always wear mine, but I'm 'pro-choice'.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Always. I've broken far too many not to.

But I don't expect anyone else to wear them, and am rather opposed to making them compulsory.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I've been chewing on granite after close consultation with a car once too often not to...
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I own a helmet.

Sometimes I wear it, sometimes I don't.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    learnt from experience to wear mine,but it's up to each to make up their own mind
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 203
    ash68 wrote:
    learnt from experience to wear mine,but it's up to each to make up their own mind

I'm in that camp too. The accident I did have riding to a part time job as a teenager really hurt and I would have probably avoided being knocked unconscious!
    '08 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    '04 Allez Sport

When we wake up in the morning, we have two simple choices. Go back to sleep and dream, or RIDE.

The choice is yours...
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    RichK wrote:
    I've been chewing on granite after close consultation with a car once too often not to...

Full face next time then?

HET704.jpg
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • redddraggon
    Wearing a helmet is clearly more popular, than not.

25 v 7
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dondare
    edited September 2007
    The popularity of helmets, and the arguments for wearing them (and even making them compulsory) exaggerate the dangers of cycling.
  • For a while then I thought we were going to make it to the second page before the argument started...
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Discussion -not argument!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cunobelin wrote:
    Discussion -not argument!
    Well, we can hope. I've not been on here that long and I'm already bored with the same old pro-helmet / anti-helmet manifestos being dusted off and dragged out again...
  • dondare
    Can we please turn this thread into an RLJ thread?
  • We should really discuss whether it's ok to RLJ with no helmet on, so long as you wear hi-viz and you're on a Boardman bike. :D
  • dondare
    ASLs are dangerous.
  • The dangers of ASLs are exaggerated.
    Friends all tried to warn me but I held my head up high...
  • No studies have failed to show that avoiding ASLs doesn't contribute to a lack of decrease in reduction of non-unsafe road use.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Shadowduck wrote:
    No studies have failed to show that avoiding ASLs doesn't contribute to a lack of decrease in reduction of non-unsafe road use.

Its WAAAAY to early to work that one out :lol:
  • redddraggon
    What does ASL mean?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • SBothwell
    SBothwell Posts: 293
    Avoidable Stop Line :twisted:
  • redddraggon
    SBothwell wrote:

Can't find it on the net, what's that when it's at home?

(Probably a stupid question)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • mailmannz
    mailmannz Posts: 173
    I was thinking about helmet use this morning while watching some RLJ jumping red lights (who werent wearing helmets). The slowest of the two narrowly missed a one way trip in a black herse and ends up the moron works in my building (so he didnt actually get to work any faster than the big fat guy waiting for his lungs to catch up and the light to turn green behind him!).

Anyway, back to my thought. In NZ (I know, Ive said this a number of times already) helmet use is compulsory and has been for nearly 30 odd years. I remember as a child the law coming in and dad making me wear a helmet to ride to school on the bike BUT I also remember a lot of people being anti the law.

Fast forward thirty years, all those anti-helmet people are either dead or too old to ride while the children back then are now making their kids wear helmets and the so called "pro choice" brigade is nothing more than a faint wimper in the back ground.

Yes helmets should be compulsory, cause some times people are just too dumb to know whats good for them :D

Mailman
  • Cyclegent
    Cyclegent Posts: 601
    I can't seem to vote but I don't wear one and I'm VERY anti-compulsion, people seem to have forgotten the concept of individual liberty under the law these days. I also like to have a good laugh at helmet wearers who do incredibly dangerous things, like undertake HGVs. I'd like to see their plastic hat protect them from 16 tons of metal!
    \'Cycling in Amsterdam.is not a movement, a cause, or a culture.It\'s a daily mode of transportation. People don\'t dress special to ride their bike any more than we dress special to drive our car... In the entire 1600 photographs that I took, there were only three people in "bike gear" and wearing helmets.\' Laura Domala, cycling photographer.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    SBothwell wrote:

Can't find it on the net, what's that when it's at home?

(Probably a stupid question)

Its Advanced Stop Line, its where the cycle lane runs up to a set of lights then extends into a area the full width of the lane where cars arent allowed to wait but cyclists are.

I personally dont see much benefit in them, prefer to take primary position and wait amongst the cars really. Dont feel any more comfortable with one than without one.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    mailmannz wrote:
    Yes helmets should be compulsory, cause some times people are just too dumb to know whats good for them :D

Mailman

That's simple ignorance on your part. If you actually read up on the evidence, you wouldn't make such a stupid statement.

In almost every helmet argument, it's the pro-helmet brigade that rely on common sense and emotion in their arguments, and yet haven't spent much time at all reading up on the research and thinking about the issue.
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    I'm in both camps...
    I wear a helmet when on the trail or commuting in winter/cold/dark (has LED on back of helmet).
    If its a warm clear day, I don't wear one.
    I'm a great believer in choice :D
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    I wear mine 99% of the time but when I'm just popping round the corner or something then I generally won't bother - definitely pro-choice on this one until/ unless some compelling case can be made (which it doesn't sound like it can).
  • Sorry,

I'm newish to the forum and haven't been involved in any of the discussions regarding wearing of helmets (or not).

I choose to wear mine now, although I had ridden a bike for years without wearing one and luckily never had an accident where a helmet may have helped me.

What's the issue regarding not wearing one? They're light and the may, just may, save your life. Don't see a reason to not wear one to be honest.

Having said that, I am definitely PRO CHOICE. I'm sick to death of the government telling us what is good and what is bad for us.