can it hack it ?

mark 1
mark 1 Posts: 20
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and recently new to road riding. just recently I've been thinking about getting a new bike, I've been looking at the Giant scr 3, what I've been wondering is will it stand up to the roads were I live, middle of nowhere mid Wales, I know most roads are bad but the ones round here are what 4x4's were built for. It's just that you don't see many bikes around here and I was thinking maybe the road bikes cant take the lanes that predominate around here ( sorry about the big word ) . Would I be better off looking at somthing like the Dawes 301 or similar. any thoughts or advice would be a help cheers mark 1 :?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It'll be fine.

Road bikes (albeit slightly modified) do Paris-Roubais, so the roads of Mid Wales should be fine.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    mark 1 wrote:
    you don't see many bikes around here and I was thinking maybe the road bikes cant take the lanes that predominate around here ( sorry about the big word ) . Would I be better off looking at somthing like the Dawes 301 or similar. any thoughts or advice would be a help cheers mark 1 :?
    I don't know what the lanes around Brecon are like but they shouldn't be any worse than the ones further North (Rhayader, Llanidloes). Having ridden those plenty I'd suggest that yer standard road bike would be fine. If you want to start heading for the really rough stuff (when you see grass in the middle etc) then perhaps a cyclo-cross framed & tyred machine would be more appropriate.

I think the components on bikes like the SCR 3 are more than up to the task. That's not to say they can't break, but that they're usually over-engineered somewhat, in anticipation of them being used for everything, ridden up and down kerbs, over rough ground (maybe lloaded with panniers too) etc. Or have a chat with a local dealer and see what they suggest.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Could always stick some 25mm tyres on for a bit of extra protection. I find lanes in fairly sparsely populated areas are actually better than a lot of roads in heavilt populated areas just because they get less traffic. Lanes in built up areas seem to take more of a battering but don't get any resurfacing because they're not a priority for the council. I alway expected lanes in built up areas to be better maintained and less neglected but I think it comes down to the amount of traffic on them. You find some pristine lanes in the middle of nowhere.