Cassette Question.

Paul Sh
Paul Sh Posts: 607
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Righty , currently i have a Boardman mountain bike which i love, now, i'm thinking of buying a Boardman comp road bike, now before anyone says anything negative i actually think these bikes are top value for money so please don't start trying to get me to buy a different brand, :)
Anyway, i've noticed that the comp has a 9 speed cassette, if my mind serves me correctly i thought 10 speed was basically the done deal, i wont be racing or anything like that, the bike will be used for days when on my own and can get out for general fitness. Will, in your opinion the gearing on this bike be suitable for my needs, Oh and it's 18 speed in total, Cheers.

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Armstrong got most of his Tour de France wins on a nine speed, so if you like the bike don't let that put you off.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I have bikes with 8 and 10 speed on. Actually find nothing wrong with the 8 speed, so go for the 9 if it suits you.
  • Nice bike;
    I have Bikes with 7,8,9and 10 gears all work fine I suppose its "horses for courses" it all depends what and where you need the bike for? :)
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    One thing to remember is these bits will need changing in time, all parts for 10 speed are more expensive than 9 and they in turn are more expensive than 8. So for a summer bike go for 9 or 10 but for a winter bike go for 8 speed where you can use chains as a disposable item.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • I thought 9 was pretty standard...it depends on where you ride, up and down hills? on flats? fopr hills you need a slightly wider range than for flats
  • woody-som
    AndyChud wrote:
    I thought 9 was pretty standard...it depends on where you ride, up and down hills? on flats? fopr hills you need a slightly wider range than for flats

9 speed is fine, I use 8 speed on my winter bike, used it today, and I ride some very hilly routes, along the south devon coast. The slightly bigger jump between rings isn't that much to worry about. I can easily swap between the 10 and 8, and not notice that I have less or more gears. Hill the use a 12-27 in 8,9,10 speed and flats 11-23/25, the only thing with 8 and 9 is larger jumps between gears, but the chains, well the whole drive train is actually tougher than 10 speed.
  • Hills are things I can only dream of! Living in the Netherlands, I'd have to persaude my dad to drive me to Belgium(about 2-4hrs) just to access some hills!
  • woody-som
    AndyChud wrote:
    Hills are things I can only dream of! Living in the Netherlands, I'd have to persaude my dad to drive me to Belgium(about 2-4hrs) just to access some hills!
    lucky you, all flats. so you can manage on a 11-21. I have two hill climbs next months, looking forward to them, but not bothered where I actually finish, just want to take part for fun (if thats the correct word for a climbing a hill).
  • lucky you, all flats

this is true. It does also mean, however, that there is a constantly strong prevailing wind that goes against the way I cycle. not as much fun as you think.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    AndyChud wrote:
    Hills are things I can only dream of! Living in the Netherlands, I'd have to persaude my dad to drive me to Belgium(about 2-4hrs) just to access some hills!

WOT No Hills ?

I don't know how you live without hills,
    where are your waterfalls?
    how do the eagles soar,
    where do you do 50+ on a bike ?
    do you need gears ?
    is there such a place on our planet ?

Ee god man, it's not right
    it's like a pint without a head
    or
    beef without yorkshire pudin

The poor lamb
    you gotta feel for im
    I don't know what I'd do we-out me ills
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • I don't know how you live without hills

Its great normally, fo getting around, but when it comes to training, it's terrible! No hardcore yet rewarding climbs into beautiful long decents!