Moving over to the dark side.

bike butcher
bike butcher Posts: 9
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
well after months of cycling to work on a mtb with 2.35 full nobblies. the time has come to shell out on a road bike. However i have no idea what to look for in a road bike, as a gentleman of above average gurth (read: fat git) i need somthing that isnt going to go pop under me.

I dont want to spend more than £300 max, must have mounts for a rack at the back as well as those for mudguards.

any recomendations?

Comments

• Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Hi bike butcher.
    Best recommendation for your budget would be:

Giant SCR 3.0 which will take full guards and a rack. This is a pretty good and swift piece of kit, the 8 speed Sora is reliable and long wearing, ride position less extreme than many other race bikes.

Dawes Horizon, bit more expensive, but would also make a durable and comfortable commuter and is already fully kitted out, 26@ wheels and fatter tyres for a slightly more comfy ride.

Finally, Edinburg Bicycle Co-op's racolution Race and County Tourer will also fit the bill.
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 155c002912

The Dark-side's the right side....

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • the giant looks pretty sweet. dawes looks more sutible however there arnt any dawes stockists near mine. Is there anything to be said for the carrea breed halfords do (otehr than having to deal with halfords).
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I saw a Carrera Virtuoso with full guards on the other day. Not sure about racks but unless he'd done a botched job (it wasn't obvious if he had) then the Carrera will take full guards.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Lagavulin wrote:
    I saw a Carrera Virtuoso with full guards on the other day. Not sure about racks but unless he'd done a botched job (it wasn't obvious if he had) then the Carrera will take full guards.

I had a rack fitted to my virtuoso, so they do take them.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr