Evans Cycle to work scheme

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
afternoon you lot...

looks like I've weedled my company into a cycle to work scheme... but they've chosen Evans

Do any of you know if there are any other comapnies associated with this scheme?
*cough* condor *cough*

I want a fixed gear bike for a bit of fun and the like
http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=71353
is what I'm toying with at present...

any suggestions? after all it's tax free you gotta spend a bit more haven't you :lol:
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• Go to the main Cycle to Work Scheme website on the following link. It'll allow you to enter your postcode and find the nearest shops. Alternatively enter the postcode of a shop that stocks the bike you want as an easy way to see whether they participate.

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/employee,partner_finder.htm
    My bike's an Orbea Elgeta from Epic Cycles
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think the Evans scheme is just for Evans bikes - Cyclescheme is a similar scheme that works through most LBSs. My employer went with Cyclescheme, which will work with Condor, but unfortunately not with Planet-X who use the Halfords Scheme! Wiggle also do their own scheme, just for their own bikes, and I believe Edinburgh Cycle Co-op do one as well.

For the most flexibility Cyclescheme seems the best, opening up hundreds if not thousands of shops (apart from the fact that it excludes Planet-X), however most LBSs that use the scheme won't pass on discounts, and some add a surcharge to cover the 10% comission they pay to Cyclescheme (Spa Cycles for example, add 12.5% to their web price). The dedicted schemes (Halfords, Evans etc) restrict you a bit more, but potentially allow you to secure cheaper bikes. Halfords do claim to be able to source most bikes apart from their usual stock, however these will only be at full price and there may be warranty issues (possibility that you lose manufacturer's warranty in favour of a Halfords one).

I and my colleagues lobbied our employer NOT to use Halfords, but I now have mixed feelings as I can't get a Planet-X.
  • Clever Pun
    cheers guys...

looks like I'm stuck with evans but I might try and give the cyclescheme a punt and use the LBS angle, hopefully I'm not too late
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • alfablue
    well, its not so bad, whilst Evans service is sometimes put in question, at least they have a wide range and decent prices, just make sure the spec is correct (I have heard stories of them fitting lower spec, such as wheels to some bikes).
  • RE: planet X - does the cyclescheme that doesn't allow Planet X allow Geoffrey Bulter cycles in Croyden? They stock the planet X time trial bikes and I found them very helpful with a measure up a few months ago. I just get a compnay cheque from my firm though - a really good way of implementing the scheme!
    :D
  • alfablue
    RE: planet X - does the cyclescheme that doesn't allow Planet X allow Geoffrey Bulter cycles in Croyden? They stock the planet X time trial bikes and I found them very helpful with a measure up a few months ago. I just get a compnay cheque from my firm though - a really good way of implementing the scheme!
    :D
    That's a good point - they may be able to supply one - must check that out.
  • Clever Pun
    A reprise they're not sure which one to get... time to stick my oar in GO TEAM CYCLE SCHEME
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5