Garmin Edge 205

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited October 2007 in Workshop
On wiggle it's £150 ish

On ebay

http://search.ebay.co.uk/garmin-edge-20 ... eNameZWLRS

Hell of a lot cheaper.............worth the risk of getting off ebay?
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Well it's a uk seller with 28000+ sales, reasonable feedback rating, quite a lot of neutrals, but this is a very high volume seller, I wouldn't be too worried, probably worth the risk given the large saving.
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I am tempted by one of these for Christmas. The units this sellers has seem to be US sourced units, it's not clear from the current listing but the AC power supply looked to be a 2 pin US design a couple of weeks ago. I think the unit can be charged via a USB port though so the AC adapter may not be needed or a UK one could be bought from ebay or Garmin in the UK. Contact the seller to clarify this though as I looked a few weeks ago and concluded it was a US unit but the current listing seems to have changed.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • I got my 305 off eBay from Royal Deals. Looked like a UK seller, but was actually US. But it was fine, and has been no trouble. I can't even remember if I've got an AC unit, but I think not. It always charge it up from the PC after downloading the latest ride.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    I have a 205. They charges through mini-USB socket, therefore can be charged on your PC or even with a motorola/blackberry phone charger.

I can't see any issues with having a US sourced unit.
    Rich
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    As above be wary, I also purchased a Garmin Forerunner 305 from Ebay, stated it was a UK company but came from the USA ( after almost 3 weeks !! )

I'm not complaining as I've not had any problems and the saving was great, just be wary that it may come from the US...
  • got mine (205) off ebay for £70 (new).
    seller was from uk but the ac unit was US 2 pin, but seller put a adaptor with it.
    Neat unit, 2 bike mounts :)
    Good Luck and Be Fecund
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Think I will risk it then, since I got paid today.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Like all eBay transactions, check the feedback, and then check the feedback for false feedback ...
  • Bought mine from this very seller.

They are actually in the US but it arrived quickly, was brand new in a sealed box, and works perfectly.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • did you get stuck with customs and excise duty and VAT?

Thinking about buying one as well but scared I'll lose the savings to the vat/customs men.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Bought mine from this very seller.

They are actually in the US but it arrived quickly, was brand new in a sealed box, and works perfectly.

i bought mine off that exact same seller (emilyandlilly) it came in about 5 days i think and its supplied with an adapter so that it can be plugged into an english plug. I am extremely happy with it and would recommend buying from them!
  • ochils11 wrote:
    did you get stuck with customs and excise duty and VAT?

Nope.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • I got mine from a UK shop and it still came with a 2 pin plug plus an adapter. Works perfectly well and seems to charge quicker than the USB option should you be in a rush.
  • I got mine from PC World and I can't even remember if I got an adapter with it, you get a USB charger with it which charges it while you upload your data to your PC, although charging takes longer than uploading of course!

Re VAT and customs duty - some packages get stopped and checked and you get stung for import duty which you have to pay to the carrier before they deliver (usually with a 'service charge' on top), when I used to order stuff from the states quite a bit it used to run to about 1 in 5 or 6. You pays your money you takes your chances. Apparently you can arrange to pay it in advance somehow but I never looked into that!

BTW - anyone know if it's possible to transfer your waypoints from the unit to your training centre software, if you can I can't work out how to do it!
    There's always one more idiot than you bargained for.
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    Why not just get it from Amazon? As cheap as anywhere and free delivery. £105 for the 205 and £160ish for the 305
  • alfablue
    The item location in the listing is Nottingham, UK. If it did come from the US (and more importantly, with duties applied) then this would be a listing violation. Given that the sellers do a great deal of business, and as far as I can see this issue has not been raised in feedback, either it is UK sourced or they have some reliable way of importing it at the stated price. Maybe a question to the seller would clear things up (and also strengthen your position in the event of a problem). I would be surprised if such a big seller would risk making intentional listing violations, though its not out of the question.
  • alfablue
    HarryB wrote:
    Why not just get it from Amazon? As cheap as anywhere and free delivery. £105 for the 205 and £160ish for the 305
    £76 (delivered) versus £105 would probably tempt me.
  • I bought a 205 from emilyandlilly via ebay, great price and it was packaged with a 'Garmin' branded water bottle. I'm sure it was dispatched from the UK. All in all I was very happy with the service, just wish I had bought a 305 with the cadence sensor. Next time!

Rey
    George
  • I've just put one up for sale in the readers ads section.

Get it while it's hot....

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12546492

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast