suits anyone

velocity07
velocity07 Posts: 6
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
Hey all
Just got back form my first day of commuting to work, I was wearing a suit! Had no idea how dirty I would get, and sweaty! Has anyone got any ideas how I can change this? All suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks

Comments

• am I the only one that has had bad experiences with arriving to work in a state - i.e. with a dirty suit? This boggles my mind, how does everyone else stay clean on the way to work, or is the trick not to cycle?
    Please reply ... thanks in advance
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Get changed at work? I do, we have showering facilities, and my own large office to hang my smelly cycling stuff in.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I rode in ordinary work clothes when I started cycle commuting, that lasted about a week after terrible problems of sweat and dirt. Now I ride in cycle kit, leave shoes and a jacket at work and carry the rest in in a rucksack every day.
  • I leave jacket at work and use an Eagle Creek Pack- it folder to transport ironed shirt and trousers and change at work.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/packing_folders/

Hang the shirt up and spritz with a mini water mist spray from Muji or simlar and the creases from folding drop out.

Have a babywipe shower and you'll be changing into nice fresh clean clothes and a pristine shirt looking better than if you'd driven in.
    woot
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    edited September 2007
    I'm lucky; a family friend who's very fussy about clothes sold me 5 good suits for under £100. (Ted Baker, Hugo Boss and Next). They had been hardly worn and the jackets were a perfect fit. My wife adjusted all the trousers.
    On the occasional public transport days I left 3 of them at work (the best suits stay at home). I did of course all ready have a couple of suits.
    There's a dry cleaner near work so I take the trousers there when needed. The jackets are hardly worn so dry cleaning is very occasional.
    So all I have to bring in on Mondays is 5 shirts, socks and pants in a pannier on my MTB. For the rest of the week I'm free to ride the road bike with a small rucksack.
    Unfortunately there are no showers to use so I have to compromise wiping myself down near a sink. To make up for this I shower twice a day and don't think I pong too much (probably less than wearing a suit on the bike :wink: )
  • I leave my suit, shoes and ties at work...then each morning iron a fresh shirt and just fold it up for my rucksack you'd be surprised how resiliant shirts can be to creasing. then a squaddie shower at work, brush me teeth get dressed and i'm ready to take on the world!
    dangerous jules.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I use a ruck sack with everything in, except a jacket at the mo - new job next week so can leave shoes at work. Baby wipes, hand towel and deo brings you up fresh if no showers.

Just worrying about getting a 5kg lock to work......it will be staying there !!
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Find a job with the naturist society
  • Jon G
    Jon G Posts: 281
    velocity07 wrote:
    Hey all
    Just got back form my first day of commuting to work, I was wearing a suit! Had no idea how dirty I would get, and sweaty! Has anyone got any ideas how I can change this? All suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks

Have you looked at formal or semi-formal clothes made by outdoors equipment firms, which combine office-style appearance with features like crease resistance and quick-drying properties? Rohan do some stuff like this, and I think some others have followed them. Try www.rohan.co.uk

Jon
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    I will occasionally commute in my work clothes (trousers and a shirt), depending upon the weather (my commute is pretty short).

I also have two sets of trousers and I routinely bring in a suit-bag of shirts on my bike. Then I can cycle in wearing whatever I choose to match the elements.

It is pretty cool wearing my day's clothes though - as you feel pretty good when you're at the lights next to all the lycra lads. However... I can't put in as hard as I normally do - but that's made up by the time saved not showering/changing.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Cyclegent
    Cyclegent Posts: 601
    I keep suits and shoes at work, and bring in a shirt and tie each day (or wear them in colder weather). Cycling in a suit reduces the lifespan of your trousers to about three months, which isn't good if you're spending c£500 on made to measure suits (which I have to get because the chain stores decided no men in Britain are less than 5'9" in height or below twelve stone in weight, but that's another matter).

The only problem I have, which doesn't occur very often, is if I am cyling direct to a work function, meeting etc. In this case I will wear an old suit, or if it's less formal, dark cotton trousers (washable and don't show the dirt) and a lightweight sports jacket that I can keep folded in paniers, and I have a pair of Rockport type shoes that look formal but have a good rubber sole (I find leather soled shoes impossible to cycle in).

I believe M&S do washable suits - though I doubt if chain oil, road grime etc would wash out.
    \'Cycling in Amsterdam.is not a movement, a cause, or a culture.It\'s a daily mode of transportation. People don\'t dress special to ride their bike any more than we dress special to drive our car... In the entire 1600 photographs that I took, there were only three people in "bike gear" and wearing helmets.\' Laura Domala, cycling photographer.
  • I tend to travel in with trousers and a shirt rolled lightly and in my rucksack (on Monday). My shoes stay at work, as do my cufflinks and tiepin.

Shirt and tie travel back that night, and a new shirt and tie goes in on the next day's commute. On Fridays, I take the trousers home for washing too. I don't think I could cycle in in my work clothes, I sweat too much!
  • I'm lucky enough to live within 10 miles of the office, and in the course of my weekend actually have to drive past so...clean jeans (casual dress code rocks!), 5 sets of underwear/socks and 5 t shirts (assorted!) get dropped off along with fruit, soups noodles etc and all the dirty laundry from the previous week get's taken home....tada!
  • I keep a couple of pairs of trousers and shoes at work. I roll up my shirt and sox and bring a new one each day. They get a bit creased...but so what?

I work in one of those places where there are no real facilites to store stuff so just leave the trousers on our coat stand.
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Luckily I have suits at work, a good locker room & showers, clean towels every day and a laundry service available for my shirts & grundies & a secure garage for my bike.. heaven really..