Set up first road bike

Lbaguley
Lbaguley Posts: 161
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Don't worry, not another "what shall I buy" question, but more of a set-up question. Before I start I know the majority of the recommendations will be to get a professional fitting done, but was hoping to get some pointers on how a bike should be set up.

I've narrowed my choice down to two bikes which are the same price and quite heavily discounted, running quite similar components - the main difference being one is a sloping geometry frame and the other is a classic horizontal cross-bar. Having sat on them both in the shop I know that they are the correct size. However I have not yet tested them on the move.

The chap in the shop was saying that if I could see the hub of the front wheel in front of the handle-bars then I was basically too far forward. What's your opinion on this? Is this generally true?

On both bikes I could see the hub when the saddle was at the correct height and I was on the hoods. Shop bloke said that I could swap the stem for a longer one (they were both on a fairly short stem - 90mm ish) but I don't think I would want to reach the inch further that his advice would require.

The other option is to flip the stem - somthing I think I would do anyway, as I haven't been on a road bike since I was a young boy and think I would prefer to start off with a more relaxed position.

Thanks in advance for any pointers you may have.

Comments

• generally your bum sits at least 5cm higher than your bars, as for your stem, go with what you feel is the most comfy unless your gonna be tt ing and racing.
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Personally I'd go for the "classic" horizontal cross-bar, but that's a very personal view. Some people think that kind of geometry has had its day, then again, some really like the integrated seat posts that a few manufacturers are churning out on their frames.

I'd agree with the "if you can see the front hub over the bars then you're too far forward".

110mm is the 'standard' stem length I think, but you aren't really going to get a perfect fit first time out. You'll have to experiment as you go along.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Fit and geometry are specific to the individual. That is why it is important to have a professional set you up and recommend the correct frame for you. My guess is you are looking at very small frames if they are fitted with 90mm stems and you may need to look a size bigger.

Spend the time and money with a bike fitting equipped BIKE SHOP and have them help you out. This will be mony well spent as there is nothing more annoying or painful than beeing stuck with a bike too small because it was a "bargain"
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Thanks for the responses and the advise, peeps.

DtR - you're right I am looking at small frames - I'm 5'6" and in terms of the "classic" geometry that means a 49cm frame in the brand I am looking at - the sloping geometry frame is a 50cm (I think I'm right in thinking that that's a virtual measurement??). I tried the 52cm frame of the sloping geometry and I felt like I was reaching for the bars and the 51cm in the "classic" frame and I was touching the cross-bar when I stood over it, so I'm pretty confident I've got the right sized frame.

Would flipping the stem have the desired effect of bringing me back on the bike, so that I'm not too far forward? Sorry if that's a stupid question...
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    No, it wouldn't - it would still be the same length! (Although you could move the saddle back on the rails, but then your pedalling position would be a bit weird).

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Hi Lbaguley

Pretty much everything you need to know is here...
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Have a read!

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • Fab Foodie wrote:
    Hi Lbaguley

Pretty much everything you need to know is here...
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Have a read!

I like Peter White's methodology. The emphasis on individual comfort makes a lot of sense to me. Additionally it saves me from standing and sitting in weird positions in front of a mirror trying to use a tape rule, plumb line and theodolite all with the same hand.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast