central London drivers

hamboman
hamboman Posts: 512
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
We cycle past thousands of them a week, but does anyone actually know someone who drives to work in the morning in the centre? I surely don't. Who are these people then, it's occurred to me?! And why don't they mind queuing in traffic for hours?

Comments

• dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I know several people who make slow, complex journeys into work involving driving to the station, catching a train into London and then taking the tube (for instance) when they live closer than me and could cycle in half the time at a fraction of the cost of their present regime.
    They don't cycle because it is "too dangerous" or because they'd be "too tired to work" if they had to cycle in.

I have explained it all to them.......
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • I had to drive in London a few weeks ago to pick-up my mother in law from the airport.
    It was an awful experience. Within minutes we were stuck in a traffic jam and it took us 15 minutes to get through a set of lights that I would have cycled in seconds. This wasn't even central London. We ended up being an hour late, after allowing plenty of time to get there.
    I used to drive all the time 10 years ago (in a different country) and the road rage I thought had left me for ever came back in minutes.

I will not choose to drive unless it's absolutely necessary.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    dazzawazza wrote:
    I had to drive in London a few weeks ago to pick-up my mother in law from the airport.
    It was an awful experience. Within minutes we were stuck in a traffic jam and it took us 15 minutes to get through a set of lights that I would have cycled in seconds. This wasn't even central London. We ended up being an hour late, after allowing plenty of time to get there.I used to drive all the time 10 years ago (in a different country) and the road rage I thought had left me for ever came back in minutes.

I will not choose to drive unless it's absolutely necessary.

Obviously leaving the time you did to complete the journey was NOT plenty of time :twisted:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Colleague of mine drives his Boxster from Slough to the City & back most days. He comes in early & leaves late to avoid the C-charge & the worst of the traffic

When faced with my incredulity he claims it is cheaper & less stressful than the train, and takes about the same time. Though given that he has to pay for parking this surprises me. I think he just loves his shiny Porsche.
    <a>road</a>
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    dondare wrote:
    I know several people who make slow, complex journeys into work involving driving to the station, catching a train into London and then taking the tube (for instance) when they live closer than me and could cycle in half the time at a fraction of the cost of their present regime.
    They don't cycle because it is "too dangerous" or because they'd be "too tired to work" if they had to cycle in.

I have explained it all to them.......

Funnily enough, my recent conversion from Tube to bike has got others in my office thinking about doing the same...guess it depends with whom you work

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Colleague of mine drives his Boxster from Slough to the City & back most days. He comes in early & leaves late to avoid the C-charge & the worst of the traffic

When faced with my incredulity he claims it is cheaper & less stressful than the train, and takes about the same time. Though given that he has to pay for parking this surprises me. I think he just loves his shiny Porsche.

If I lived in Slough, I'd want to get the hell out as early as possible and not return until I had to, so can totally understand this!!!!

P.S.: yes, I've been to Slough, loads of times and all over the town as well... :twisted:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    Colleague of mine drives his Boxster from Slough to the City & back most days. He comes in early & leaves late to avoid the C-charge & the worst of the traffic

If I lived in Slough, I'd want to get the hell out as early as possible and not return until I had to, so can totally understand this!!!!

P.S.: yes, I've been to Slough, loads of times and all over the town as well... :twisted:

He claims he lives in a nice bit. I thought that was called Windsor though
    <a>road</a>
  • spen666 wrote:
    Obviously leaving the time you did to complete the journey was NOT plenty of time :twisted:

I thought it was plenty of time, having not driven for 4 years.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    My mate drives into London every day. He is often working until quite late (sometimes past midnight, having started at 7 or 8am) so it is the best option to cover all eventualities. Having said that, when things quieten down he is hoping to be able to get into a routine of cycling in on the bike he bought a few months back.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Pregnant friend of mne drives to work because she is sick of being jostled on the tube and people refusing to give up their seat while steadfastly avoiding eye contact. What a charming city to live in.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    dazzawazza wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

I thought it was plenty of time, having not driven for 4 years.

Probably should have allowed those 4 years as your journey time :D :evil:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • SecretSam wrote:

He claims he lives in a nice bit. I thought that was called Windsor though

I live on the outskirts of Slough and can vouch for it being a dump.

It is a concrete wasteland and thoroughly depressing.
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
    It isn't fit for humans now,
    There isn't grass to graze a cow.
    Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
    Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,
    Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
    Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town-
    A house for ninety-seven down
    And once a week a half a crown
    For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin
    Who'll always cheat and always win,
    Who washes his repulsive skin
    In women's tears:

And smash his desk of polished oak
    And smash his hands so used to stroke
    And stop his boring dirty joke
    And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add
    The profits of the stinking cad;
    It's not their fault that they are mad,
    They've tasted Hell.

It's not their fault they do not know
    The birdsong from the radio,
    It's not their fault they often go
    To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars
    In various bogus-Tudor bars
    And daren't look up and see the stars
    But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care
    Their wives frizz out peroxide hair
    And dry it in synthetic air
    And paint their nails.

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough
    To get it ready for the plough.
    The cabbages are coming now;
    The earth exhales.
  • whome
    whome Posts: 167
    The nice part of Slough !! I suspect he is in an outlying village or just meaning nice-for-Slough.

There is an nice old looking bit just behind town, unfortunately it also has an ugly tower block, new builds and the grotty town centre within sight, so I wouldn't call it nice.

Even nearer Langley is not "nice" in any normal sense of the word.

Unless it has been flattened and rebuilt since I last saw it...

I have driven into London, but never for commuting and so never at peak times.
    Training, highway design and increasing cycle numbers are important to safety. Helmets are just a red herring.
  • Cyclegent
    Cyclegent Posts: 601
    A colleague drives to work, as she says it doesn't cost much more than public transport and takes about the same time, but prefers it as she is in her own space and can smoke. Fair enough I suppose...
    \'Cycling in Amsterdam.is not a movement, a cause, or a culture.It\'s a daily mode of transportation. People don\'t dress special to ride their bike any more than we dress special to drive our car... In the entire 1600 photographs that I took, there were only three people in "bike gear" and wearing helmets.\' Laura Domala, cycling photographer.