Salsa El Santo - is it a good frame?

teacherman
teacherman Posts: 454
edited September 2007 in MTB buying advice
Am looking to buy a FS frame but don't have much experience of them. Saw El Santo 4" frame on Wiggle for £761 - a fair price?

I know Salsa make tasty bits of finishing kit - never knew they made frames.

Has anyone ridden one or own one?

Before i forget i ride rough, rocky XC with drop offs and steps and rock gardens etc but enjoy technical climbs as well. The hard tail is just becoming a pain in the arse and doesn't forgive my frequent rubbish line choices!
I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf

Comments

• ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    Frames are what Salsa do best and the El Santo is a gorgeous looking thing. I was going to get one myself when I was hunting around. I think it got a decent 9/10 when it was tested in WMB ages ago. £760 is an excellent price for it as well.

However, its an XC race bike at heart and wont really like being thrown around the trails. I'd look at something more robust.

If you're looking at something a bit different then check out the Ventana X5.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • :lol: Did i make myself sound hardcore? any drop offs of more than a foot and a half i walk round and rock gardens i take steady as you like.

I don't reckon i need more than 5" tops travel and like i say i enjoy climbing so want to keep the weight down as far as possible while still being able to enjoy the downs Heh! that sounded like marketing spin!
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    I still think that you would be better served by something with 120+mm of travel. 5" travel bikes can be just as light but they can just be a bit smoother over the rought stuff! Saying that, I don't think you would be disappointed with the El Santo.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I have owned a Caballero and it was the best fram in 10 years of MTB riding I have ridden.
  • Do take your point Doogie but increased travel & lightweight = extra expense. I would gouge my own eyes out with a blunt spoon for a Yeti 575 but it wouldn't help :wink: and i can't afford one. I'm going to have to strip most of the gear off my hardtail as it is.

After doing some research :oops: this frame looks the dogs to me. Gonna have to go the finance route though :roll: