Weather Protection

Wobbler
Wobbler Posts: 19
edited September 2007 in Commuting chat
Sorry Guys if this is the wrong place, I'm sure it is. It's been a while since my last request (feels like a confession!) and, WOW, this place has changed.

Anyway I hope you can help. I'm moving to a flat and there's less place for my bike. I am fortunate to have a balcony which is where I will store the bike and I'm looking for advice on protecting it from the elements. I'm not overly precious so I assume a simple rain cover will do?

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Plastic rain covers are grand up to a point, the only problem being they don't allow any air to circulate. If the bike's wet when the cover goes on, it'll stay wet - and even if it isn't, you may still get condensation under there.

If you can rig up a little roof it'd be better!
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Oxford do a small motorcycle cover called Rainex that is breathable - they are about £30 though......
  • I've got a breathable small motorcycle cover you can have for nought (courtesy of the scumbag who stole my motorbike) if you are anywhere near Battersea? Kept my bike dry with no condensation problems through last winter.

Mark
  • Walkernomore - really?

If you are serious I'd be interested to take you up on your offer. I'm moving this weekend to Summerstown (south Earlsfield, south Wandsworth), i.e. not far from Battersea.

I'm sorry to hear about your motorbike - are you not getting another one? No worries if you change your mind. Just let me know what make it is.
  • You're welcome to it. I've pmed you.

Mark
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    My bike lives outside all year. I put a plastic bag over the saddle if it might rain; and that's it.
    It's a lightweight, hand-built 531c frame so I do care. It's about 30 years old and not showing any signs of deterioration.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Think: people buy cars for 50 grand and park them in the road.
    This post contains traces of nuts.