Berms

nonnac85
nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
edited October 2007 in XC and Enduro
i always thought that you should ride berms with the pedals level but i went on a skills day recently and they said to put one pedal up and one down e.g. if going round a berm turning left put your right pedal down to push your weight into the berm (and the opposite for right hand berms). are both these ways "correct"?

any opinions / tips please?

thanks!
My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    outer pedal down sounds right.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Outside foot down and inside foot extended out in front is the way I learned.
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    I've always done it with the pedals level. Because you are tilting the bike to be perpendicular with berm as you go round it, you shouldn't need to have the pedals in the 12/6 o'clock positions.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • I reckon either way works, it depends on the berm - is it tight or open, cut up with braking bumps/roots/rocks or smooth etc...

If you're trying to pump the berm and use the momentum they allow then I feel more comfy with my pedals horizontal so theres a solid platform to push the bike through and out of the berm. but if the berm is tight then you may need the extra stability of having the outside foot down.

Go with whatever feels best at the time.

Have you seen this vid of Doddy showing Mr Stevenson how to ride berms?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/o ... ricks-7629
  • It always seems to me that having your outside foot down gives more grip, as your bodyweight is pushing down into the berm more. Having said that, I've read guides on riding berms that recommend level pedals.

I guess it comes down to riding style etc, and like Davy said...whatever feels most comfortable.
  • yea agree, whatever is comfortable (definatly in a position that alllows you to pump into the berm though!), i think the guides will say pedals level so people dont put the inside pedal down and clip it, then kiss dirt :roll:
    Enjoy the simple things in life
  • On that free dvd MBUK gave away the other month Chris Smith said level, personally I always have the outside foot down. I'm crap and he isn't though so there could be something in it :wink:
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Yeah, outside foot down here too, soley because it makes me feel less like im going to fall off though :) I don't go fast around them, might have to watch the dvd again!
  • On that free dvd MBUK gave away the other month Chris Smith said level, personally I always have the outside foot down. I'm crap and he isn't though so there could be something in it :wink:

:lol::lol:
  • what actually are 'braking bumps' on berms, and why do they occur?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    braking bumps are caused by people braking and the bikes digging the dirt out.

now if they just went round them with using the brakes they would be faster and the holes would not appear.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    whenever I corner its always ur outside foot down, and then lean away from the turn, thus keeping centre of mass above ur tyres, on berms maybe u dont have to lean (maybe not as much) but still outside pedal down...
  • yep i always have the outside foot down. If the inside pedal is down, when you lean into the berm the pedal might catch and bring the back round.
  • fumps
    fumps Posts: 227
    I have just started doing berms & i find outside foot makes me feel more planted into the berm, i just feel i have more confidence in the grip it gives.
    Arrrghhh it's worse than i thought!!!!!
  • Well after BMX racing for 5 years i've been round a few berms, it really depends on how tight the berm is, if it is tight then i always put outside pedal to the bottom and coast round and pedal out or even cornering at speed on fire road i do the same if it's tight.

If the berm is more sweeping with a good bank i just pedal right round the middle and your speed keeps you planted into the corner, i'd never lean away from the bike just keep the same angle as the bike.

Seemed to work well for me anyway.