Which Hardtail??

cnevster
cnevster Posts: 5
edited September 2007 in MTB buying advice
I have been out the game for a while but looking to get back into it. Current bike is an old rigid mtb thats taken a bashing over the years so i'm looking at retiring it and getting a new hardtail.

I have narrowed my choices down and was hoping someone who owns one of these bikes or has used one extensively can share their experience with them, i have read reviews on this site and others, but would like to get more info from the horses mouth on the following:-

Kona Caldera 2007
Genesis Core 2.0
Scott Scale 50 2007
Spec Rockhopper Disc 2008

I will mainly be doing trail riding with occasional trips to wales and scotland, so it will need to be able to handle the rough and jumps.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• I don't know the bikes individually but.....

If you go with the flow you'll get a Rockhopper or maybe a Scot - probably best spec'd.

For something different the Kona or the Genesis.

I looked for a Genesis Altitude and struggled to find one to sit on without paying for it :cry:

In the end I got a sale bike at around 30% off at the price I wanted to pay.

Worth looking for sale bikes - Evans, CRC, Pauls et al esp with the new 2008 bikes appearing

Mike
  • 2008 GT Avalaunche 2.0 in White. (pearlescent)
    best £400 I have ever spent.
    Its Gorgeous
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    out of those probably the genesis or the scale but two very different bikes i would imagine, is'nt the genesis a steel frame? for that sort of money check out the merlin rock lobsters and malts too if you can.
  • yes - merlin was recommended to me too. Steel is supposed to be "springier" than ally

Whatever you decide I would want to sit on it at least (with no obligation) first. No sit - no buy as far as I'm concerned.
  • The Genesis core is an alloy frame i think, its the altitude that are the steel frames.

The Kona has a good write up and looks like it has a good spec as well, but can't find anything else about it everywhere ive looked. I'm basically torn between that and the Genesis.
  • Try a Commencal Combi R. I have one and its excellent. 120mm travel fork and a good, solid, lightweight frame. Im currently trying to make it the ultamate XC Trail hardtail.
    Learn on a Hardtail or be crap forever!
  • I have the '06 Caldera. The ride is superb - it fills you with confidence. It's not the lightest hardtail in the world though. If you're going to be riding at trail centres for example Dalby on the red/black route i would recommend spending the extra and getting a full susser.

I love my Caldera but I am going over to full suss in the next few months.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Ive done the red route at dalby on my HT and had a ball, full suss is nice to have but its not the be all and end all.

Ignore me im still bitter i had to sell my beloved marin a while back and havent got around to replacing her yet :oops: :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Tset the ones on your shortlist. Personally I think the Kona is poor value, with an awful fork, but the frame is nice and you might like it,.
  • thanks for the head's up on the Commencal i had not even considered it. There doesn't appear to be many reviews for it, how do the components and frame compare to that of the Kona Caldera? will it stand up to some rough trail usage?
  • I go on red graded trails with mine and its brilliant. Its retailed at £699. If you're going to be using it for red/black graded trails then I'd upgrade the wheels to something a bit stronger, which is something im going to be doing soon, mabye Mavic XM 717's or 719's. And at only 14kg, its really light. 8)
    Learn on a Hardtail or be crap forever!
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    HAve a look at the Cube bike range.I have just got the Cube Acid.Good spec for money compared to some of the usual suspects and felt right as soon as I got on it.New 2008 spec is now out.They are hand made in Germany and making their way in to the Uk market after being big in Europe for some time with full race teams etc.