Winter Socks?

rhys_gibby
rhys_gibby Posts: 45
edited October 2007 in Workshop
Are there socks available that are more suitable for winter rather than summer? If so, any recomendations?
It would be nice to have a thicker/warmer pair of cycling socks for the colder rides.

Many thanks,
Rhys.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    DeFeet Woolie Boolies - nothing better, merino wool so don't pong
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    The Assos merino wool ones are excellent too.
  • Another vote for DeFeet Woolie Boolies....they have a little sheep on each one!!! Oh and they keep your feet warm.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Lewis Kit do Merino socks too - the Padley ones are £24 for 3 pairs - my fave for winter.
    Although the Assos socks seem only to be £12 - not bad for Assos !
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    andyp wrote:
    The Assos merino wool ones are excellent too.

Seconded. These are a great piece of kit. Coupled with some neoprene overshoes I hardly ever get cold feet these days.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    woolie boolies here too
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    +1 for Woolie Boolies
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Ummm, when it's really nasty out I use the Seal Skinz™ merino wool lined waterproof socks. Fabulously warm, and you could stand in a bucket of water and not get wet feet :D

Any other sock, the material to go for is merino (it's the best for base layers in general as well).

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • another vote for the sealskinz merino. I use mine all the time as i commute, roadie and i can use them for mountian biking to keep my feet dry and warm, much better than overshoes imho
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    I'll add a dissenting voice on the sealskinz socks as they are an utter waste of money in my opinion. Water can get into them via the tops of the socks so, on wet days, you soon end up with them full of water.

The sealskinz gloves, on the other hand, are one of the best pairs of winter gloves I've owned.
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    I would go for pretty much any wool sock with overshoes as best option. Sealskinz are ok if no overshoes although they can get water inside. Worse, if it rains a lot the water you then have in your shoes and the outside of the sock starts to evaporate making your feet cold :cry:
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • I've had sealskinz gloves. Which I did not like that much. Not very warm and sealskinz would not sell me a single glove when I lost one.

I have the socks and they are ok but one of them lets water in through the toes. I have never had water come over the top as whenever I need them I also need waterproof trousers.
  • www.groundeffect.co.nz do very good socks, both heavy winter ones and mid weight ones. They are very good value

I've used woolie boolies but i rate the Groundeffect ones higher. But by far the best I've ever tried are the merino socks from Patagonia, if you can get them. They are expensive but they are wonderfully comfortable.

I'm not a fan of sealskinz either. I much prefer to use thin goretex socks over merino for really severe weather.

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • [quote="Philip Davis"
    I'm not a fan of sealskinz either. I much prefer to use thin goretex socks over merino for really severe weather.[/quote]

Do you have any links to some?
  • Richard,

There are some on Wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5300006434

I don't know the brand name of the ones I use - I just got them in my local outdoors shop.

Another advantage of them over sealskinz is that they don't take days to dry out like sealskinz do if they do get wet, you just put a dry pair if inner socks on. They are particularly great to wear if you are putting on wet shoes (very common if you are touring in cold wet weather).

I'd avoid walking in them too much as they wear out very quickly.

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • I use Smartwool socks in the winter. I got them from the local climbing shop. They keep my feet warm even when wet. I have not tried woolie boolies but I do have defeet aereator summer socks and rate them very highly. :D
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Sealskinz socks, you either love 'em or hate 'em. I get along with them and would highly recommend them,and they're certainly waterproof.
    The thermal merino lined sealskinz ones are ideal for winter, or alternatively the new thiner ones worn with a pair thin merino wool socks are ideal combinations.

Only problem with sealskinz socks, is they do take ages to dry once wet so not ideal as a single pair on a multiday ride.
  • Lewistkit merino wool socks are fab. I'm usually plagued by chilblains but last year wearing these socks prevented this and I've worn them without using overshoes too. Socks still going strong after last winter so good value.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I've had sealskinz gloves. Which I did not like that much. Not very warm and sealskinz would not sell me a single glove when I lost one.

I have the socks and they are ok but one of them lets water in through the toes. I have never had water come over the top as whenever I need them I also need waterproof trousers.
    My Sealskinz gloves developed a leak after 2 years use - I sent them back to the factory, they sent me a new pair by return of post, I was very impressed - you should try it, non-waterproof waterproof socks are a bit pointless :wink:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Arent sealskins just the neoprene socks ? THey are waterproof, but I get just as wet from sweat from within.

Last winter I was fine with the Merino Socks and my Cheapo Adidas MTB shoes.
  • alfablue
    cougie wrote:
    Arent sealskins just the neoprene socks ? THey are waterproof, but I get just as wet from sweat from within.

Last winter I was fine with the Merino Socks and my Cheapo Adidas MTB shoes.
    No, Sealskinz aren't neoprene, they have a waterproof/brethable membrane - like all such products there are limits to breathability, but they work well enough such that I have never had wet feet from sweating in them. I think they come into their own when on long / all day rides where it can be difficult to stay warm when wet.
  • Well after following this thread i decided to order some sealskins (mid-thermals). What the hell kind of freakish club footed yeti are they meant to fit. they wouldn't even fit in my mtb shoes, let alone my road shoes. the shape is about as anatomicaly correct as a Picasso from his cubist period. they're going straight back.

is it worth getting the lighter weight ones - do they fit better? failing that how do the goretex ones fit in a road shoe?
    pm
  • alfablue
    Hmmm, thats odd, my Sealskinz fit fine - can't remember the specific model though. I am not really a club footed Yeti, honest!
  • HI there.

I just wear 2 thin pairs in the winter!

If it's really wet then I'll put a wee plastic bag in between the two pairs...

Cheers, Andy