Stupid woman this morning

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
Was pulling up to a roundabout so was slowing down (but not that slowly as you can see clearly each entrance for some distance and it was clear), woman steps out in front of me. Had my left foot unclipped. She sees that im slowing down but then decides to just stop in the middle of the road, and starts back pedalling to let me go, by this point ive lost all momentum so she starts walking across again, and then again back pedals. So in the end i get to where she was and she just starts walking again, and then stops AGAIN!

It resulted in me not getting my other foot unclipped quick enough and i just fell over sideways as my balance was all wrong as i was attempting to keep going. From the floor (still attached to my pedal) i said to her 'Im blaming this one on you' she replies 'fair enough' and steps over and around me, didn't bother to ask me whether i was ok or if i needed any help. She wasn't a chav, she was a 45-50 year old woman. I was astounded that one person could be so rude

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    alternatively she could be as confused about you as you were about her.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:

Yes, but the fact remains she stepped out into the path of moving traffic, even when she saw said traffic approaching. She probably had a red pedestrian light too, I'm guessing?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    If you had ploughed into her, it might have been a softer landing than the road :D

Fellow walked out on me last night, from between two parked buses. Looked at me like I had come from another planet.
  • spasypaddy
    hamboman wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Yes, but the fact remains she stepped out into the path of moving traffic, even when she saw said traffic approaching. She probably had a red pedestrian light too, I'm guessing?
    unfortunately there were no lights at the crossing
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    It must the the day for them

Busy London road, with cycle path separated on one side, she checks for cars, none, walks out, listening to Lily Allen or some sh1t on her i-pod, reading her texts, cycle lane approaches, doesn't check, is about to step out when...rude man on bike at 20 mph gets her attention gently by exclaiming "Watch out!!!" at 100 dB (I can shout LOUD when needed)

I think she broke the world high jump record, from a standing start. I have to confess to nearly falling off my bike with laughter after, aren't I a bad boy :twisted: :twisted: ? It was my right of way, a little shock surely preferable to being bowled over by my mucky old bike... :roll:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    From the floor (still attached to my pedal) i said to her 'Im blaming this one on you' she replies 'fair enough'

I'm sure it was sore - but ROFL ;)
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • Yeah!

I was cycling to work the other day and a group of 6 deer were halfway across the bridlepath and didn't know what to do! Four went straight on and two turned back and then looked all upset about being split so I hid in the trees until they came back close enough to see they were safe.. then rode quietly on.

A couple of them were still hanging around on my evening ride home too!!
    :):D
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • spasypaddy
    shes damaged my rear derauiller/cage it now rubs against my spokes when in the largest rear cog! what should i do?
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Re-adjust your attitude towards pedestrians.

Did you know that casualty rates per mile are higher among pedestrians than cyclists? They are the most vulnerable group, and should therefore be shown the greatest amount of consideration.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Or maybe they are the most ignorant group, and should be better educated - walking theory test anyone?
  • WyS
    WyS Posts: 254
    dondare wrote:

Did you know that casualty rates per mile are higher among pedestrians than cyclists? They are the most vulnerable group, and should therefore be shown the greatest amount of consideration.

probably cos there is like 100 peds for every person on a bike. ofc there will be.
  • dondare
    Accident rates are higher per person per mile for pedestrians.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    dondare wrote:

Seconded.
  • I was cycling at a decent rate of knots on the cycle path through Sandwell Valley yesterday. It's a scenic way back from the crem. Suddenly a squirrel ran out and, having passed the line I was taking, hesitated and then turned back passing between my wheels :shock: All I get when I return home and tell my wife is "I hope it wasn't hurt!" Never mind whether I'd be hurt if I hit it. :D
    My bike's an Orbea Elgeta from Epic Cycles
  • WyS
    WyS Posts: 254
    dondare wrote:
    Accident rates are higher per person per mile for pedestrians.

That will teach them for not wearing helmets.
  • whome
    whome Posts: 167
    hamboman wrote:

Yes, but pedestrians have right of way. It is the vehicles responsibility to avoid the pedestrian, not the other way round.
    Training, highway design and increasing cycle numbers are important to safety. Helmets are just a red herring.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    :lol:

I have seen a couple of pedestrians wearing helmets recently....nuff the fairy, they were pretty old and doddery, but my word I smiled!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Was pulling up to a roundabout so was slowing down (but not that slowly as you can see clearly each entrance for some distance and it was clear), woman steps out in front of me. Had my left foot unclipped. She sees that im slowing down but then decides to just stop in the middle of the road, and starts back pedalling to let me go, by this point ive lost all momentum so she starts walking across again, and then again back pedals. So in the end i get to where she was and she just starts walking again, and then stops AGAIN!

It resulted in me not getting my other foot unclipped quick enough and i just fell over sideways as my balance was all wrong as i was attempting to keep going. From the floor (still attached to my pedal) i said to her 'Im blaming this one on you' she replies 'fair enough' and steps over and around me, didn't bother to ask me whether i was ok or if i needed any help. She wasn't a chav, she was a 45-50 year old woman. I was astounded that one person could be so rude

I share your pain, agony, and outrage. How dare she do something so crude, rude, and
    callous. These kind of people are not fit to walk the earth. They are the lowest of the low.
    I was thinking of visiting your country, but if this is any indication of the type of people I
    would have to contend with I don't think so. I to am a cyclist and demand to be recognized
    as a superior human being, not some lowly pedestrian from the bowels of the earth.

Dennis Noward
    Toledo, Ohio
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    shes damaged my rear derauiller/cage it now rubs against my spokes when in the largest rear cog! what should i do?

flick derraillieur into highest gear (small cog) and realign the derraillieur with apropriate sized allan key. You can apply enough force to straighten without breaking the fragile rear mech hanger. If seriously bent, just replace hanger all together. Check from the back then readjust gears.

Just cos you have right of way doesn't mean you can take it especially when fat peds are in the way.
  • She was the more vulnerable, you should have respected that. Just how vulnerable is demonstrated by the link below

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 599595.ece
  • dondare
    She was the more vulnerable, you should have respected that. Just how vulnerable is demonstrated by the link below

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 599595.ece

A rare event indeed.

This is not comparable to the OP's experience (except to say that it is different in almost every respect). However, cyclists as well as motorists need to remember all the time that pedestrians do have right of way on most roads and priority in most cases, and that they are often careless of their own safety and oblivious to the presence of vehicles, even where vehicles are likely to be. It simply means that you have to ride or drive more carefully than you feel should be necessary whenever there are peds about, because they're prone to wander into your path even when you're on the road.