Ultimate XC Wheels

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited October 2007 in XC and Enduro
Well after a few months I've decided to sell my SLR's - nothing wrong with them, I just don't get on with them. Now the choice is what to replace them with. This is a possible spec I've been sent through by my LBS:

Hub choices:

Chris King ISO / DT Hugi 190 Ceramic / DT Hugi 240 / Hope Pro 2

Rim choices:

Mavic 717d / DT XR4.2d / Mavic 819 ust

What do people think? What rim/hub would you go for?

All help appreciated!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would have to say have a look in here
    http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/xc_wheels.php
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    The XTR hubs seem a good price for the fact they are the top of the range shimano hubs. However, the disc brakes work on a centre-lock disc, not a 6 bolt. Therefore my question is this; can you use a centre-lock shimano disc with Avid Juicy calipers? Is it a straight swap of discs or do you need to replace the calipers to XTR ones?
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • steelo wrote:
    The XTR hubs seem a good price for the fact they are the top of the range shimano hubs. However, the disc brakes work on a centre-lock disc, not a 6 bolt. Therefore my question is this; can you use a centre-lock shimano disc with Avid Juicy calipers? Is it a straight swap of discs or do you need to replace the calipers to XTR ones?

In a word ... yes you can.

I have XTR M975 hubs on DT Swiss 4.2d. its a very light responsive wheel - superb value and they are just as good as many top-level wheelsets.

I am running Avid Juicy Carbons on XTR center lock rotors.

You can go for adapters to convert center lock to 6 bolt but I wanted to save a little weight so went with the shimano XTR rotors. I changed pads on my juicys when I fitted the new rotors and they work like a charm (and there was no fettling at all - worked together straight away!)
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    What was it about the SLRs that you didn't get on with?

A Tune King/Kong set would be rather nice though.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    240s centrelock hubs
    DT4.2 rims
    Aerolite spokes.

You can get an adaptor for the hubs and that way it is still lighter than the 6 bolt hub with 6 ti bolts. Much better system as well.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    TUNE on 717

The best (and blingiest) wheels you'll ever own.

end of.
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • swallow
    swallow Posts: 25
    I will probably be slated for this opinion, as I think a lot of people have had problems with early examples of these wheels, but.... Spinergy Xyclones. I have two sets of these, and have had no problems at all, they are v. light and absolutely bombproof, haven't needed touching at all since new (the first pair I bought were second hand), they give a ride feel unlike any other, kind of flattening out tiring vibrations and also imo look pretty cool.
    Early problems have apparently been ironed out - they are also a relative bargain in contrast to many other high end wheelsets. I have never seen anyone else using them in the UK, and they never even feature in the magazine grouptests, but in my opinion they are great!!
    Good luck choosing.[/img]
  • paulf2007
    paulf2007 Posts: 341
    swallow wrote:
    I will probably be slated for this opinion, as I think a lot of people have had problems with early examples of these wheels, but.... Spinergy Xyclones. I have two sets of these, and have had no problems at all, they are v. light and absolutely bombproof, haven't needed touching at all since new (the first pair I bought were second hand), they give a ride feel unlike any other, kind of flattening out tiring vibrations and also imo look pretty cool.
    Early problems have apparently been ironed out - they are also a relative bargain in contrast to many other high end wheelsets. I have never seen anyone else using them in the UK, and they never even feature in the magazine grouptests, but in my opinion they are great!!
    Good luck choosing.[/img]
    totally agree with you there. I also have had two pairs, the first were stolen, but I have since bought another pair. The stolen pair I had for several years and used them in the peaks on some seriously rocky trails and they stayed completely true. They are indeed bombproof. My second pair I bought from kims bikes on ebay usa at a very reasonable price with no hassle whatsoever
  • p.3.rider
    p.3.rider Posts: 699
    The ultimate xc race wheelset (if you just won the lottery) has to be:

Tune prince/princess hubs (ti freehub, carbon flanges, ceramic hybrid bearings, carbon axel option)
    ZTR race rims (new for '08 only 294g!)
    Pinned and rolled pre stretched ti bladed spokes (not marwi), unfortunately £6 each!
    Carbon nipples.
    <center>P.3.Heaven
    NewBlender Ti
    East London Riders add dangerous innuendo David to your MSN: j_bond2k@hotmail.com
    Myspace </center>
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    New Tune hubs? Delicious!

And carbon nipples eh? Sounds kinky :D
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Hope Hubs, Mavic Rims.