Tour of America announced

2»

Comments

• pat1cp wrote:
    It would clash with the Worlds too. I think it's a wind up.

If it is then why o why are they going to the bother w/ the website and the official declaration thru Interbike? I know they say bad publicity is good publicity but if your company's introduction to the world (AQU Sports apparently) is an insipid prank then one has to wonder who would want to do business with them afterward? It's one seriously bass-askwards PR campaign if you ask me.

My guess is these are crackpots who actually think they can pull it off. Big idea - no money.

Whichever the case, It's a big nothing whatever they say tomorrow. You can't create an event like this in a vacuum. There's hardly any chatter on the internet and nobody in the bike industrly seems to know anything about it. How likely is that?

But you know, if one were to try to get a big race off the ground in the US, This would be about the only way to make it work. Huge amount of cash - most ever by far, make it the biggest spectacle in the world, steal all the euro bike racing thunder and then rub the French's face in it. That's pretty much an American success plan if ever there was one.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Its not PC to say it but Amercians annoy the hell outta me.

But not enough to stop you saying "outta"

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/outta

:P

you busted my ass :wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13403.0.html

Do you think Frank has a sign on his desk saying "You don't have to be crazy to work here...but it helps"

What a crazy guy!

He talked to loads of people including the UCI and didn't grasp that when they say "it's too long", it's not just a casual observation?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I think the idea of a Tour of America is basically a good one.
    Loads of money available- be nice to inject a bit of life into US cycling (as said an untapped market) and I think if it was the right length and at the right time of year it could be very popularwith the pro teams.

But seriously that length is just retarded.
    Unless it's held in winter and therefore all the teams could just use it as a long training camp- especially if they decided to let like 15 man teams
    You know let the new kids take it in turns to be team leader for a day- ride the whole thing at tempo pace- like 1 big training camp for all the major teams.
    That would be awesome!
    They could stop for lunch for an hour or two in the middle for interviews and for american commercials- then resume in the afternoon.

Of course as an actual race it's just stupid- who wants to race over 300km let alone 400km!
    All the teams could just agree to draw on every day- then the last day have a bunch sprint to decide the winner in a big city.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    iainf72 wrote:
    http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13403.0.html

Do you think Frank has a sign on his desk saying "You don't have to be crazy to work here...but it helps"

What a crazy guy!

He talked to loads of people including the UCI and didn't grasp that when they say "it's too long", it's not just a casual observation?

A $30 million dollar event and for his press conference he has a small map with the route marked on with highlighter? At least he seems to have the event cap and polo shirt - once you have the merchandising sorted out, everything else just falls into place.

A little tip, Frank. If you are frustrated at not being able to see the TdF, just get on a plane and go there. It will be cheaper, better and you won't have people on internet forums thinking you are completely off your chump.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    More details on the press conference here:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... rica_sep07

I can actually smell the bullshit from halfway across the globe.
  • mandie
    mandie Posts: 218
    iainf72 wrote:
    It's got to be a wind up.

Is it this years Sony Ericcson scam?

Sony Ericson had substance compared to this.

125 km Time trials and 400 kms across Texas - the riders will have died of boredom by the time they get to half way.
    We\'ll kick against the darkness \'till it bleeds daylight
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Nice article.

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13413.0.html

Interesting about the Tour of Cali - So it's only got 1 more year of sponsorship?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Surely it must be. Weren't riders so bored during that 1984 Tour de France 300+km stage that they resorted to stealing specator's hats for amusement? (thanks Richard Moore).

The people behind this must also think that Lance and Landis are victims of a French conspiracy. :lol:
  • What a lorry load of pure testicles!
    "Everything on the event sheet is open to change, the distances... the cities."
    Means..
    "We haven't actually even contacted the cities we've mentioned, we're just hoping they might be interested."
    Arokiasamy confidently said his experience in the corporate world would allow him to raise the money, though he admitted no money has been raised as of yet.
    Means..
    "It's all pie in the sky currently, can anyone give me a few bucks?"
    "We won't have a title sponsor. We will have 27 event sponsors, so that when we lose people, it is not a disaster."
    Means..
    "No one's going to stupid enough to give us any money, let alone a big wad"
    I am just a very optimistic guy
    Do these seven words sum up the whole story? :roll:
    We are pleasantly encouraged with the response we have gotten."
    In the word's of one of Harry Enfield's characters.
    "Oiii! Nutter! That bloke's a nutter!"
    I've just "Googled" him, nothing at all appears except links that mention the coverage given to this potential event in the media.
    Does Dr Arokiasamy even exist?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • ..and now the Tour of America makes the Bikeradar homepage!!!!!
  • Radsman
    Radsman Posts: 122
    but the Race Across America Alot is even a better idea :lol:
  • Michuel
    Michuel Posts: 269
    What a lorry load of pure testicles..
    I've just "Googled" him, nothing at all appears except links that mention the coverage given to this potential event in the media.
    Does Dr Arokiasamy even exist?

I think you must have spelt his name wrong when googling.
  • Yep, copied the name from one of the cyclingnews.com pages, gave me about 5 links, just plugged in "Frank Arokiasamy" and it's a mere 9,870! :oops:
    Looks like he is real, even if this tour idea isn't for real!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Titanium
    Titanium Posts: 2,056
    I reckon Henri Desgrange got flamed for daring to start this crazy sounding race called the Tour de France in 1903. And look what happened.

But like most crazy ideas, only a few will suceed. It'll take a lot of luck and money to get this one going.