Thigh Muscles

hednesfordxcer
hednesfordxcer Posts: 208
edited November 2007 in Health, fitness & training
I really want to build up my thigh muscles for those long fire roads. I keep fit, eat properly, don't drink and have now gone 5 days as a non-smoker. I hope fire roads will now get easier as my lungs clear up, but figure some more muscle to thighs wouldn't go amiss. Are there any exercises that can be done in comfort of your living room?
Where'd that bloody Deer appear from?

My Bike plus Cannock Chase: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8222097@N03/492524919/

Comments

• mossycp
    mossycp Posts: 233
    If you expect to get fitter "in the comfort of your living room" you are in the wrong sport :o
    The best way to get faster on the fire roads is to ride fire roads.
    You could try some weights in the gym or a turbo trainer in the living room but they are both tedious so just get out and ride!
    Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    1 word = Squats
  • I'm out nearly every day on bike, do on average 120 miles per week, so obviously weight aint a problem, but building muscle is as burn so many calories
    Where'd that bloody Deer appear from?

My Bike plus Cannock Chase: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8222097@N03/492524919/
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Eat more then, get some extra carbohydrates and protein into your diet. Obviously if you burn off all your carbs biking your muscles will have nothing to build on.

Push yourself up some brutal hills more than you normally would, make sure you're loaded on carbs/protein and have more days off :) It's on these resting days you will build up.

PS So far this month I've biked 20 days and had 7 days off, I can't really talk about days off :)
  • Yep this is one area I actually know my stuff on.

Squats with some dumbells will really help. If you want some more info then just ask.
    Meats like white fish, some tuna, salmon and some meats like steak and chicken will really help and also beans etc. Maybe if you are serious about it. you could look into getting some Whey Protein into your diet in the form of protein powder.

Good luck and maybe one day you can get beefier thighs than me :)
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I started on small amounts of whey protein recently, its quite nice and controlled. I don't have to make an effort to eat lots of fatty meat to get a big enough intake, I'm onto taking about 50g of protein a day which is about 1/4 of what I would be taking on as a weight lifter, it just guarantees its there if my body needs it to build on or repair with. If not, you pee it out!

My thighs are no where near rugby size and never will be :) I fear they'd catch on the top tube :P
  • Toasty wrote:
    My thighs are no where near rugby size and never will be :) I fear they'd catch on the top tube :P

That is why I am crap ;)
  • do exercises but then eat protein and carbs as soon after as possible.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    Mog Uk wrote:
    1 word = Squats

Agree, I cycle around 200miles a week,but nothing builds muscle on your legs like squarts,leg presses and leg raises. You will need to find a gym with good supervision to make sure you perform the reps correctly to get max benefit and do not get injuries. It's hard work, just depends how much you want it.
  • i played rugby for 4 years..and still do...works a treat :o
  • Iain W
    Iain W Posts: 26
    Big thighs won't help you with cycling. Strong, toned thighs will. You'll get more weight for not much power advantage bulking up. Personally I'm no purist when it comes to fitness and the gym is the way to go if you want big thighs as a means to its own end. Squats and lunges are good. If you use the machines rather than free weights, you need to do leg presses and leg extensions, plus hamstring curls for balance.
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    squats are great, lunges too, keep the weight low and the reps high 20-30
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Mog Uk wrote:
    1 word = Squats

Lunges and step ups help as does riding more, but squats are what make 'em strong.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • You should do squat jumps as they help with burst power too, ideally as pyramids up to 35 in 5s normally. Also, in the comfort of your living room, do squats carrying your sofa, that should strengthening you up.
  • Squats and hindu squats, lunges, and plyometrics.
    CoachLevi.com