Patching lycra

jackelder
jackelder Posts: 7
edited September 2007 in Workshop
What ho - I have a favorite pair of bike shorts. They're lovely and the chamois is like it was made for my backside. Problem is, I've worn them so much that they're nearly worn through. Nearly, you say? So what? Well, they're worn enough that they've become translucent. At a particularly inopportune point. On the front. Where, not to put too fine a point on it, a particular portion of my anatomy comes into contact with the fabric.

So: these bike shorts are still structurally sound, but if I wear them then anyone looking closely can tell whether I'm Jewish or not. Fine for winter commuting under a spare pair of normal shorts, but I'm wondering whether it's possible to get a patch sewn over the worn bit. How would this work with lycra? Can I just take it into a professional seamstress and say "more black lycra just here, please!"? Or do I just call it a day and condemn them to being worn under things?

Cheers!

Comments

• top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I'd bin them if they are as worn out as you make them sound. I guess if you can get an area to sew onto then you could put on a patch but it may be the case that the patch could also induce chaffing at the patch seams. Hardly seems worthwhile though in my opinion - but its your call.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    agree with above.

sometimes mate, you've just got to let them old favourite pants go to the lycra-heaven

or something..

(or the bin!)
  • jackelder wrote:
    What ho - I have a favorite pair of bike shorts. They're lovely and the chamois is like it was made for my backside. Problem is, I've worn them so much that they're nearly worn through. Nearly, you say? So what? Well, they're worn enough that they've become translucent. At a particularly inopportune point. On the front. Where, not to put too fine a point on it, a particular portion of my anatomy comes into contact with the fabric.!

This thread is clearly a blatent copy of one I posted on another cycling forum and you have attempted to conceal the similarity by saying your translucent patch is round the front rather than the lower back!!!! :shock: :lol:

I wouldn't say I have worn them so much they have worn through....more they have succombed to some mystery phenomenon. At least you have the option of putting a patch of terry towling over the offending area...or a batch of lycra which would resemble the reinforced area you often get in the front of shorts :idea:
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Uranus
    Uranus Posts: 887

This thread is clearly a blatent copy of one I posted on another cycling forum and you have attempted to conceal the similarity by saying your translucent patch is round the front rather than the lower back!!!! :shock: :lol:

Riding in lycra shorts that are so worn that the *rse crack is clearly visible to a following rider is a very unsporting way of forcing other riders to sit in front of you and tow you around - worn-out shorts are the wheelsucker's secret weapon.

Only the other day I had to do two laps of Regent's Park on the front when I wasn't really in the mood and it didn't fit into my training plan . . better than looking at the hairy ginger buttock cleft of my impromptu training buddy though.

Yes I mean you, on the blue Specialized . . . get some new shorts fer chrissake! :shock:
  • What about patching new shorts?
    I have two pair, one has a tear on hip area after a crash on wooden track, the opther a tear in th arse cause from spiking my arse whilst rushing to climb over a fence to get on a track!!
    Is it possible to glue a lycra patch on or better to sew?
    Is there a shorts repair kit like a puncture repair kit? :D
    Both shorts are good quality, worn twice and have a hole in them !!!
  • Uranus wrote:

Riding in lycra shorts that are so worn that the *rse crack is clearly visible to a following rider is a very unsporting way of forcing other riders to sit in front of you and tow you around - worn-out shorts are the wheelsucker's secret weapon.:

Mine wear above the crack but sadly too low to be covered by my jersey....so all you see is my lower back. What I could do with is some Campag branded lycra patches :?
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Uranus wrote:

Riding in lycra shorts that are so worn that the *rse crack is clearly visible to a following rider is a very unsporting way of forcing other riders to sit in front of you and tow you around - worn-out shorts are the wheelsucker's secret weapon.

:

I didn't know they did it on purpose. All makes sense now.

BTW -Cool Fondriest avatar! Fantastic bikes.
  • Uranus
    Uranus Posts: 887
    Sintesi wrote:

BTW -Cool Fondriest avatar! Fantastic bikes.
    Thanks yes I like my Fondriest(s), never properly marketed in the UK but I take comfort in the fact that I can buy them on Ebay for about half the price of the equivalent Bianchi!
  • jackelder wrote:
    Or do I just call it a day and condemn them to being worn under things?

Cheers!

Similarly to the thread about the knackered carbon frame you could get them framed and hang them on the wall. They'd look lovely I'm sure and you could recall all those fond memories everytime you looked at them :)
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements