GPS Devices?

giantjason
giantjason Posts: 89
edited December 2007 in MTB general
Does anyone know of a decent GPS device that can be used for planning off-road routes. Ideally, the route could be plotted on a PC and then uploaded onto the device. That way it makes riding a new trail much more enjoyable when you dont have to stop every 200m and check directions.

I have looked at the Garmin Edge 205 & 305 but the screens on these devices do not show maps.

Comments

• cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    I use the Garmin Edge 305. It's primarily a training device but I link it up with memory map as well. In memeory map I can plot routes on the OS maps and create routes that are then downloaded to the GPS unit. You can then use it to navigate. The map display is basic however and only shows the course plotted - not a proper map (if that is what you are looking for), but it does work well. You can also re-run previous routes as courses and try to beat your last times against a 'vortual partner' :twisted:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Aren't the Garmin Edge 605 and 705 models due out over here soon?

Here's a linky:

http://bikemag.com/news/freshproduce/Garmin-605-705/

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=10885
  • Not cheap, but very nice. Doubles as a normal car sat nav. For bike, uses memory map on the PC to plot routes and shows the actual map on the system as well.
    http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk/road-an ... r-7000.htm
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    mnmorton wrote:
    Not cheap, but very nice. Doubles as a normal car sat nav. For bike, uses memory map on the PC to plot routes and shows the actual map on the system as well.
    http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk/road-an ... r-7000.htm

Yep, that's what I use. Get a bicycle handlebar mount for a Mio something-or-other 'cos Road Angel don't do any bicycle, motorbike or scooter mounts even though they advertise it as usable on a bike. And the battery won't last a big ride, you have to set the backlight to dim and switch off whenever possible. I can get maybe a couple of hours.
  • i like the look of the Garmin 605 & 705.

Checking on their website it says they are due out in the 4th quarter of 2007, which is around now.

Has anyone seen these in the shops?
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    Garmin eTrex Legend zipped tied to the stem, with GB Topo installed plus Tracklogs on the PC.

If you don't need the cycling specifics of the more expensive devices it an excellent way of bike nav on and off road. 10hour battery life to boot.

satnav.jpg
  • Bryanm,

Couple of queries about your setup:-

Does this device allow you to put in off-road routes planned on the PC?
    What level of detail does it give?
    Does it give bridleways, paths etc like on the OS maps?
    How much is it?
    Does it ever get lose going over rough terrain?

I purely want a gps device to navigate me round pre-planned routes as i have my cycle computer to tell me speed distance etc.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Does it switch itself off...............................
    Paul
  • bryanm
    The GB Topo is an enhanced map that Garmin sell (or look on the torrents) which you can download into the unit - With a 1 Gb memory card you can put the whole country on. It isn't anywhere near as good as OS maps. It has all major roads, features such as rivers / woodland / contours, but doesn't have bridleways etc. The unit plus a print out of the route you've plotted in Tracklogs / Memory Map is good enough to navigate. You can always get a grid ref off the unit to refer back to the paper map to find out where you are.

You can plot a route on Tracklogs / Memory Map and upload it to the unit and then follow the arrow and line on the unit.

It's yet to fall off..... I use the supplied lanyard tied around the handlebars as a backup but it's never come loose yet. I've just ordered a specific bike mount for my road bike as it doesn't fit on as well as my MTB. I think because the MTB has a 4 point stem it sits neatly on the top.

The Legend HCx is £220, the older model is around £185. www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

I got mine from Wiggle - they we're a bit cheaper at the time, but their web site is down at the moment.

It's never switched itself off.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Careful with the zip tie route. On my Etrex i ended up damaging one of the left hand side buttons.

Etrex handlebar mounts are readily available for about a fiver (I know have one).
    Rich
  • bryanm
    RichA wrote:
    Careful with the zip tie route. On my Etrex i ended up damaging one of the left hand side buttons.

Etrex handlebar mounts are readily available for about a fiver (I know have one).

Thanks for that. Looks like I'll be getting a second bike mount then!
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    I got an etrex vista and I find it perfect for me but just about any decent GPS will allow uploads from Memory-map, anquet or most leading mapping software...depends what your price tag is...I got that vista 2 yrs ago for £200 they'll be cheaper now as the vista colour is out on the shelves now!!! Try eBay.

Carry a map and compass to as batteries do run out when you least want them too!! but most, if not all GPS systems will give you a 12 figure OS grid reference so you can find yourself on an OS map that way!! Trust the GPS too they are VERY accurate!
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • Tarquin
    Tarquin Posts: 1,706
    A few things to clear up I guess:

1) No Garmin unit will display raster charts (ie OS mapping). They will display Topo (vector mapping) but this isn't ideal.
    2) Memory-Map will sync with garmins so you can plot on your own pc and then export the routes.
    3) Memory-Map can also read GPX files so you can download routes from sites like bikely, see them on a good OS based map AND transfer them to a GPS
    4) You wont see either the 605 or 705 this side of Christmas. Consumer launch is planned January although workable samples will be available to see at next weeks show.
    5) If you're at the show next week it would be worth visiting both garmin and memory-Map as both have new developments
    6) If you're considering a GPS for biking be sure it has a SiRFstarIII chip set as this measn you should keep signal in the woods (most - but not all - Garmins use this chip set)

And finally, if you are going to part with the cash for a GPS it is best to fork out the extra few quid for a digi mapping software (like Memory-Map) to get the most out of your unit.

www.memory-map.co.uk has information about everything above.

Specific units - I use a 305 for performance and navigation and have no issues.
    Sleeping with hookers is like dancing your cat on its hind legs... the more you do it the harder it is to convince yourself they're having fun.
  • Tarquin - you say you use the Edge 305 - i know you can plot a route before hand but does this show up accurately on the screen display.

The reason i ask is - could i navigate with this sufficiently enough to ensure i am not stopping every 5-10mins to check a map.

Can you also zoom in and out of this display on the Edge 305?

Cheers
  • cjw
    giantjason wrote:
    Tarquin - you say you use the Edge 305 - i know you can plot a route before hand but does this show up accurately on the screen display.

The reason i ask is - could i navigate with this sufficiently enough to ensure i am not stopping every 5-10mins to check a map.

Can you also zoom in and out of this display on the Edge 305?

Cheers

Yes, it works fine. I use the 305 with routes downloaded from memory map and they are pretty easy to follow. It gives a clear 'line graphic' of your course. Take a look at the Garmin website for a manual for the 305, http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/967_OwnersManual.pdf

The 305 also warns when you stray away form the route and shows you the direction to get back on 8)
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • bryanm
    Why does everyone rave about Memory Map? I've got Memory Map for the Lakes, and Tracklogs for most other places I go. I can't stand Memory Map compared to Tracklogs!
  • cjw
    bryanm wrote:
    Why does everyone rave about Memory Map? I've got Memory Map for the Lakes, and Tracklogs for most other places I go. I can't stand Memory Map compared to Tracklogs!

Never tried tracklogs but memory map does everything I need, automatically downloads routes from the GPS. Able to export to the GPS and I find it very simple to plan routes on it. No gripes here, but as I say, never tried tracklogs.

What do you find better with tracklogs over mm as you've got both?
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Tarquin
    Tarquin Posts: 1,706
    Yes - I set my way points at junctions and turns and run the compass arrow rather than the route screen page. Thus I just ride the direction the arrow shows.
    Sleeping with hookers is like dancing your cat on its hind legs... the more you do it the harder it is to convince yourself they're having fun.
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    How do you download a route onto a Garmin 305?

Also which Memory Map do you buy? 1:25 or 1:50?
    Do you buy the whole thing, or just areas?

Cheers
    Owen