New Brooks B17 Saddle

Airfriday
Airfriday Posts: 69
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
I've just got a new Brooks B17 Saddle. It says during the running-in period to use Proofide Leather Conditioner on the leather surface several times. I'm surprised it does not come with some if it is essential. Is there anything else that can be used or must it be Proofide?

Comments

• acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Well, there are lots of things you could use, but you invalidate your warranty if you do! Search the web, and you will find pages of Brooks lore. Mine broke in with one Proofide application and a week or so of commuting :)
  • Well, there are lots of things you could use, but you invalidate your warranty if you do! Search the web, and you will find pages of Brooks lore. Mine broke in with one Proofide application and a week or so of commuting

Thanks for the info. I fitted the B17 to my bike. Is it OK to use it without applying Proofide immediately??? I'll phone around but I think there's a Brooks stockist 15 miles up the road so I'll ride up there on Friday.
  • Yes, it will be fine to use without first prrofiding. Trying not to get it wet would be a good idea though.

Others may come up with proofide alterntaives but given that a lifetime's supply of the correct stuff costs a few quid then I'd buy some proofide. It smells nice too!
  • Yes, it will be fine to use without first proofiding. Trying not to get it wet would be a good idea though.

Haaa . . . . guess what. It stopped raining and dried up. Lovely blue sky and sunshine. First time out with the B17. Went off round my local loop (13 miles). Sods law . . . got to the furthest point, the wind got up, came over black and the heavens opened up. Drowned rat!

Well, the saddle stayed quite dry. It's actually quite comfortable as it is. If it gets any better, it'll be a bonus. One thing, I had to stop twice and re-adjust the tilt. I kept slipping and sliding forward. These saddles are very smooth and shiny and slippery. Almost felt like I was going to slide over the back! LoL. No, seriously, I've had to adjust it slightly nose up, Mmmmmaybe be parallel to the ground but not as I've been used to on other saddles.

I rang Colchester Cycles and they've put a pot of Proofide away for me to collect later in the week!
  • The shininess and slippiness will wear off with use and will be more comfy
  • That"s great. Once I get the Proofide, I'll be set.

Thanks for all your help.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Don't overproofhide them though, apply some underneath once in a while.

To be honest, they use to suggest all kinds of stuff, neatsfoot oil was fave when I had my first B17, I also used Hydrolan and Dubbin on it. It's done 22 years though of mild abuse....
    Got a second 2 years ago and that one is just peachy too.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • 22 years WOW I'll be in my 70's by then! Nice to know that even with a bit of abuse, they are long lasting. My bikes are kept in a dry workshop, so the saddle will not be subjected to much rain or UV when not in use.
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Don't worry too much about the breaking in period, its no where near as bad as people make out. I have found that the Brooks saddles are about as comfy as any other when new, the real difference is they get better with time. The proofhide is worth buying, as FF says, don't overdo it and the tub will last for ages.

D :D
  • The "long" way round to pick up the proofhide will be a 48 mile round trip. Maybe my new Brooks saddle will be run-in when I get back!
  • Just cycled to Colchester Cycles Store . . . . really nice ride because of the mild, wind-less, sunny weather today. Picked up a tin of Proofide and a few other things and returned home. I noticed how comfortable the B17 was on my return trip. Mmmmmay be it's now run-in already??? I've done about 60 miles on it.

Also noticed, although it's still nice and shiny looking, it's far less slippery and I stay in position.

UPDATE Sun 30th: After a light application of Proofide last night and then buffing-up before today's ride (14 miles) I noticed that the saddle was super shiny again . . . . but what a surprise when I sat on it and was almost stuck like glue. It really is nice and comfortable and with no sliding around! Well done Brooks.
  • acorn_user
    Sounds broken in. I like the slidiness, because you can reposition yourself. Each to their own :)
  • Airfriday
    Airfriday Posts: 69
    edited October 2007
    It was just tooooo much acorn_user. Bit like being on ice! Weird, drunk sort of feeling! Really did feel like I was going to slide off the back.

ADVERT:
    I can honestly say the the B17 is the most comfortable saddle I've ever used. (I do not work for Brooks (I do not work!)) I've tried 5 different saddles on my Air Friday and this is by far the best combination. I recently had a Lemond Nevada City and Dawes Discovery 600 with "Stock" saddles and for me, they were dreadful. I should have fitted a "Brooks"!
  • acorn_user
    Hehe, for sure. I raced my B17, so a bit of repositioning was good. Mine is no longer as shiney though. Unlike me Team Pro :)