What bike should i get

Alpinestar193
Alpinestar193 Posts: 18
edited October 2007 in MTB beginners
I'm just getting into the whold moutain biking thing and i was just wondering what the best bike would be to get.
ive looked at a few and got my eye on a specialized hardrock and just wondering if it would be able to handle it or will i need a full suspension

Comments

• You've posted twice. :? If youre a first time beginner to MTB then idealy you'll want a hardtail. Dont go buying a full suss unless you have learned basic an advanced skills on a hardtail. It takes time to learn how to ride a hardtail. Whats youre budget for a new bike? :)
    Learn on a Hardtail or be crap forever!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Also have a read of the what bike thread in the general section.
  • About £350. any recomendations?
  • Mongoose Tyax Elite? 270ish

Mongoose Tyax Super? Not sure but 300ish. (Hydro brakes and some better parts)

You can tell what bikes I like ;).
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007
    Carrera Limited Edition TDF

Full suspension - King of the forest!

If anyone rides in Sulham Wood give me a shout :).
  • interesting thanks
    and good spots you know around surrey for a begginer as such
  • also i think you like GT bikes lol :D
  • interesting thanks
    and good spots you know around surrey for a begginer as such

Yeah there great bikes!

Umm, no sorry mate I live in Reading myself.
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007

• another newbie question
    what else will i need?
  • Helmet.

Mudguards if your worried about your look. I might be buying some later...

Gloves (I have just purchased them there great!)

That's it really... As you noticed you don't really need any of these.
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007

• supersonic
    You need to try the bike first to make sure you like it and get the right size. Same for a helmet. Get some basic tools, oil, cleaners and a hydropak.
  • omblae
    omblae Posts: 206
    Surrey spots? Plenty if you're willing to look. Esher Shore is the obvious place, but it's best you wait till you have some bike handling skills before you go there as it has claimed limbs before and will do again.

In terms of homemade stuff, if you want to get into jumping, Milford has an excellent PRO ,yes that's right, PRO jump spot which is great to learn on as there are plenty of small tabletops that progress onto small doubles, to larger gaps, hips and truely awe-inspiring doubles.

If you want to indulge in DH, move to Wales because Surrey has nothing.

Oh yeah, also there are PLENTY of skate parks to try out MTB street or something.
    Just don't hang around too long after 12AM or you may end up getting hassled by BMXers/skaters/bladers/chavswithnothingbettertodo.

Good luck!
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ben Bramhill</i>

On upgrades? Pay someone œ90 to take it away.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
  • thanks for the advice i may go down and have a look at esher shore not ride it just have a butchers

and dont worry i come from addlestone im pretty savvey with the workings of chavs and what not lol

omblae
    got any bike recommendations?
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I can really recommend a GT Aggressor 2.0XC for a £350 bike, I bought one about 6 weeks ago and it's proper nice to ride, comfy saddle and really good on forest style fire roads and single track that you might find about the place.

I also bought me a Giro Invader (me thinks) helmet, some Sixone gloves, a couple of pairs of padded road style shorts (worm under baggies ofcourse) and a cheap as chips Hydropack from Decathalon 2ltr bladder, room for personal bits, small tool kit, pump, food and a lightweight water proof jacket, best thing is it was a tenner!!
  • Hi,
    I've just got a GT Avalnche 2 Disc for my first bike in a while and the spec of it seem pretty good compared with other bikes. I'm well impressed. Its perfect for me and my riding, but like others have said, its best to try one out first.
  • lol yeah my mate just got the avalanche its proper nice
    but i wont be getting one then ill have the same bike as him and that would be a definate no lol
    im getting a Specialized hardrock 07/08 2 disc
    the guy in the shop said they were the best so i'm not gunna argue lol
  • supersonic
    Guy in the shop is talking out of his arse. Go and try a few!
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    and a cheap as chips Hydropack from Decathalon 2ltr bladder, room for personal bits, small tool kit, pump, food and a lightweight water proof jacket, best thing is it was a tenner!!

Amen to that :D they're stunning value aren't they 8)

Cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Panter wrote:

Amen to that :D they're stunning value aren't they 8)

Cheers

Chris :)

Certainly are :P
  • spesh hardrock is a brilliant starter bike, a tad on the heavy side but a strong frame and great for upgrades ( if you haven't guessed i've got one).
  • supersonic
    No offence, but it lacks in spec compared to the opposition - undamped forks, basic drivetrain, mechanical brakes...
  • what else would you recomend then aroun 300 pound mark
  • supersonic
    The ones in the What Bike thread

Mongoose Tyax Elite
    Carrera Kraken
  • ok thanks
    i was looking at that one cos its a tad cheaper and your the second person to recomend it
  • hey guys

just to let you all know i'm now the proud owner of a Mongoose Tyax Elite 07

got it for 250 not to bad

also got specialized enduro full fingered gloves not bad if you ask me

thanks for all the help

wouldnt have got the one i wanted if it wernt for this site

ill probs be on soon for some more help lol
  • supersonic
    Good choice, and enjoy!
  • so what now then?
  • oh yeah strupid me why didnt i think about that lol

where thought i dont think im quite at esher shore level in my first few months lol
    any suggestions in surrey and surrounding areas lol