Should I ask about cycle facilities during a job interview?

dazzawazza
dazzawazza Posts: 462
edited September 2007 in Commuting chat
I might be changing jobs in the near future and was wondering whether it would be a good idea to mention cycle facilities during an interview. I assume there could be several reactions from the interviewer:

1) The interviewer is a cyclist so chances increased increased dramatically.
2) Makes a good impression that I'm a fit and determined person so chances increased.
3) Interviewer has same opinions as Jeremy Clarkson and I have just ruined any chances. Bl00dy hippie.
4) Interviewer has no opinions on cycling but why am I wasting time with such an irrelevant question.

What do you think?

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I think it depends on how much of a deal breaker good cycle facilities are to you. If you don't think it would be a deciding factor in accepting the job, then I probably wouldn't bother, and you can suss it out later if they offer you the job.

Now if it is going to be a big factor in whether you accept the job then I would ask at the interview.

The other thing to keep in mind is that unless the person interviewing you is a cyclist, or works closely with one then they quite likely won't have a clue about the cycle facilities.
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    See what happens, you might go in and see a bike shelter or bikes locked up?
    They might ask about hobbies/interests.
    etc......
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,384
    someone on here did get refused a job due to "not being reliably on time"

perhaps take a sneaky walk around the interview, or if they do offer you the job, then ask
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Do a walk round - I've mentioned the cycling in recent interviews, but not pushed it too hard as it was one of the many reasons for not wanting to continue working 30 miles from home when looking for a job 10 miles away. Just mentioned I'd be cycling in, and checked out the premises.. my contract role I've had has bike racks, and a handily placed disabled toilet (no disabled staff though) near where the bike is. No showers, but a sink and my supply of baby wipes etc.

New job has plenty of racks, and may eventually get good showers etc as they have introduced a green travel policy ( a University). I did mention the cycling on this job as they are really pushing the travel and are looking to get good secure racks etc.

As long as you have somewhere to change, then it's not a big issue. You might want somewhere to dry your stuff, but I'm currently managing with having kit draped over my rucksack under the desk - could do with a fan though as the place is all a/c and takes all day to dry the stuff out.

At my new place I'll get an office, so I'll be able to hang the kit up somewhere to dry.

The main thing is being able to get your stuff dry - any desk fan and careful placing of your kit will get most stuff dry.

Good luck
    The crazy thing is, bikes are the most 'time' reliable methods of transport these days.
  • dazzawazza wrote:
    Should I ask about cycle facilities during a job interview?

Yes.
    Friends all tried to warn me but I held my head up high...
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I think it depends on how much of a deal breaker good cycle facilities are to you. If you don't think it would be a deciding factor in accepting the job, then I probably wouldn't bother, and you can suss it out later if they offer you the job.

That gets my vote. If it is a prime consideration - ask. If not, suss it out later. I was always going to ride to my current job, so it was just working out how good the facilities are (and the showers are AWESOME!)
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I was recently in that situation. I went to one interview with my Deuter Rucksac, so the interviewer just started talking about cycling to me (made it very simple!). However, I played it differently with the job I really wanted. I booked interviews for the end of the day, so when I arrived I could spec out the area and the office. I saw quite a few people in cycle gear, so it was clear that there were facilities. I then waited until the final interview (with the person from HR) to talk about that sort of thing. I think the HR person is the best bet on that stuff anyway, so if you can leave it until then I think that is the time.
  • Are they a very big employer? Just thinking that you could ask a general question about their approach to exercise, as keeping fit and healthy correlates to less illnessand time off.

Many places have people/groups that go for a run at lunchtime as well, so there will be showers, possibly lockers. This could indicate a positive approach to exercise so might easily lead into talking about bike riding/storage.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Hmmmm...I'd say salary, hours, flexible working, etc are more important

Here's a tip: why not ask at reception before you leave? Or wait until they offer you the job and then ask. Probably would not be viewed as important enough to warrant mentioning in the interview (unless the topic of cycling comes up, in which case, slip it in...so to speak).

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I would wait until the job was offered and then ask. My boyfriend recently didn't bother with this, asked in the interview and still got the job (the boss was a cyclist) but it's a bit of a risk.
  • I have always asked the HR bod as recommended here, its always gone down well but you have to ask the right person as it could well be perceived as a trivial and inappropriate question. Fit it in as an aside to the conversation when wrapping up. It often comes up naturally as you get asked about where you live/what will your commute be like, I always ask if interviewing to gauge the likelihood of frequent lateness blamed on poor public transport links.

Also well worth asking the receptionist as its also an inroad into a general conversation about the softer side of the business, people, out of work sociableness etc, plus it looks good to be gamely chatting to the receptionist about the company when the interviewer comes out rather than sitting looking nervous! How cheerful they are is often a good barometer for general morale.
  • secretsam
    Ngalbrai wrote:
    I have always asked the HR bod as recommended here, its always gone down well but you have to ask the right person as it could well be perceived as a trivial and inappropriate question. Fit it in as an aside to the conversation when wrapping up. It often comes up naturally as you get asked about where you live/what will your commute be like, I always ask if interviewing to gauge the likelihood of frequent lateness blamed on poor public transport links.

Also well worth asking the receptionist as its also an inroad into a general conversation about the softer side of the business, people, out of work sociableness etc, plus it looks good to be gamely chatting to the receptionist about the company when the interviewer comes out rather than sitting looking nervous! How cheerful they are is often a good barometer for general morale.

This person talks much good stuff. Ping! Ten points.

• whome
    whome Posts: 167
    I would agree with most of what Ngalbrai wrote.

I can't see that it should be that "dangerous" a question, as some seem to suggest. But as others have said, better left to the HR or offer stage and/or nose around/ask unofficially.
    Training, highway design and increasing cycle numbers are important to safety. Helmets are just a red herring.
  • Ngalbrai wrote:

Bit of a problem if the interviewer has a bit of 'thing' for the receptionist and sees you as direct competition though!!
  • spord
    spord Posts: 34
    I fail to see why it would be a problem asking this kind of question in an interview. It's a completely valid question, and not exactly a difficult one to answer either.

Interviewee: "I'm planning to commute by bicycle - do you have somewhere to lock bikes securely, and somewhere I could change?"

Interviewer: "Why yes we do" or alternatively "no, sorry, not at the moment, but if we have enough interest it's something we would consider doing".

End of. Nobody is going to offer or deny you a job based on your choice of transport because to do so would be discriminatory. However, you might well decide that if no adequate storage facilities are available, it might not be the best place for you to work.
  • Philthefish - I cant think of every eventuality you know....
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    spord wrote:
    Nobody is going to offer or deny you a job based on your choice of transport because to do so would be discriminatory. However, you might well decide that if no adequate storage facilities are available, it might not be the best place for you to work.

Nobody is going to admit to offering or denying you a job based on your choice of transport. If there are many quality applicants, however, you'd be surprised how petty people can be. It's best to keep reasonably impersonal until later.

I still think, if it's a dealbreaker for you, bring it up. If not, keep it until later in the process and/or keep your eyes open as other have suggested. (Of course, if the topic comes up - cool!)
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • secretsam
    baudman wrote:
    Nobody is going to admit to offering or denying you a job based on your choice of transport. If there are many quality applicants, however, you'd be surprised how petty people can be. It's best to keep reasonably impersonal until later.

I still think, if it's a dealbreaker for you, bring it up. If not, keep it until later in the process and/or keep your eyes open as other have suggested. (Of course, if the topic comes up - cool!)

I once saw a TV programme where 6th formers were being interviewed by some top industry bods, one of who was head of HR for ICI or something - and she blew someone out of the water because he wore white socks with a suit (this was a few years ago).

We're dealing with people here, and deep down, they can be irrational. I'd find out, but not in the interview unless it came up.