Any Tips On Getting Sponsered?

whitetux
whitetux Posts: 156
edited September 2007 in MTB general
Anyone got any tips for getting sponsered, by like your lbs nothing major just wanted to know if anyone had any tips
http://ChristoGallagher.co.uk
Supported by: FliDistribution.co.uk Solidbikes.de Oneal 2pure.co.uk Helitape.co.uk Scott MacPherson Photography Crank Brothers Pedros Clif Bar Lizard Skins Gamut USA Mtb-Essentials.co.uk

Comments

• win world champs at fort william on a chopper
    Where'd that bloody Deer appear from?

My Bike plus Cannock Chase: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8222097@N03/492524919/
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    win some local races is the easiest way to get noticed by an LBS.
  • ride your bike, have fun, and win races. Either that or make some really good vids, post them on youtube etc..

i say just ride ya bike and have fun that is what it is about!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the same answer as last time. If you are asking you are not good enough.

just get out there and do your thing and you may get seen.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • the same answer as last time. If you are asking you are not good enough.

this is a bit of a simplistic answer

your LBS could actually benefit from sponsoring you, in terms of having someone out there riding in their colours and spreading the word

you can help the LBS out with cycling events, in their shop (making the tea, sweeping up, etc.), telling people in your area about the shop, giving out flyers or stickers...there is alot you can do

the best thing is to become friendly with them, and help out whenever needed, then ask them if they could give you a discount in exchange for helping to promote the shop

in time, and as your riding develops, if they see that you are proving to be a worthwhile and trusted person, they may offer you heavier discount (even trade price) or give you promotional items from their suppliers, or hook you up with a cheap bike from one of their suppliers...its all up to you

always be friendly, courteous and willing to help :D
    [/b]
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • nicklouse
    rob cole
    it may be a simplistic answer but i have never sponsored anyone with out seeing them ride and then approacking them.

when people ask me to sponsor them i ask them so where will you be riding/rading and i might have a look and a chat.

but as you say it is a job.....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • it may be a simplistic answer but i have never sponsored anyone with out seeing them ride and then approacking them.

sorry Nick, I think I misphrased that...what i meant is that anyone looking for sponsorship needs to make potential sponsors aware of their existence

unless racing, its going to be very hard to come to the attention of sponsors, for grass-roots sponsorship (i.e. LBS) becoming friendly with them is probably the best way to get something moving...and grass roots sponsorship can actually be a more powerful tool than sponsorsing a sh*t hot racer (who only really get noticed by other racers)[/b]
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • nicklouse
    correct on the last bit about getting noticed.

you also have to have good person skils and if you Know a few people who can get you media coverage even better..