Clothing advice please

lego
lego Posts: 769
edited September 2007 in Commuting chat
Hi all, I'm just after some advice on clothing. The problem I have is that I work shifts and now have a short commute of about 4 miles each way. The actual problem is depending
what shift I'm on it's either warm on the way there and (at the moment) bloody cold on the way back. Now I don't want to ride in the heat :lol: with a fleece on but I don't want to freeze on my way back. Space in my pack is tight ( alot of food!) so I didn't really want to stuff anything large in there.
Is there a good looking jersey about with vents? what do you all use?
Suggestions will be most welcome. Cheers.

Comments

• jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I recommend a montane velo jacket (wiggle have them). It's just a windproof/water repellant , close-fitting jacket but it stuffs into a little bag about the size of an apple. Perfect over a cycle jersey/running top/thermal depending on the temperature
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I tend to cycle to work in the cold and home whilst its still warm, I use arm warmers and a base layer and cycle t-shirt on the way in and ditch the arm warmers on the way home works fine for me, could see in a couple of months Im going to be needing to go heavier duty.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Two easy changes - cold : wear full gloves and a head covering under your helmet (I like a merino skullcap myself - very thin so you don't overheat). Warmer : fingerless gloves and just the helmet.

It makes a world of difference, as you lose a lot of heat from your head and your hands.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • +1 for arm warmers but also take knee warmers. You can stuff them in pockets. Knee/leg warmers are almost as good as full tights and the brushed fabric ones are better than Ron Hill type nylon tights but much less bulk.

Regards

Alan
  • lego
    lego Posts: 769
    Cheers for all the tips, the arm and knee warmers sound like a good idea as does the jacket. I've got all my clothes for the weekend off road trips but look a bit daft when off the bike (no no no it's not licra)
    Thanks all.