Cheshire_Cat
Cheshire_Cat Posts: 464
edited September 2007 in Commuting chat
Hi,

Picked this up from another forum:

http://tinyurl.com/39we6u

:shock:

Comments

• it was reported in the Manchester Evening News last week and there was a right hoohar about it but on closer inspection it only those with less than a years experiance they have stopped riding while they carry out a review.

Makes sense as some of the guys I've seem patrolling cycled like stevie wonder. I just hope they get them back as soon as possible.

they halp give us visibility on the road, its also nice blowing them away :)
    imagine being able to legally drop a area car and they couldn't do a thing about it! :D
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Surely the solution is to make cycling safer, not to remove the patrols?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    true but the force still has to make sure that the users of suplied equipment/machinery have recived the proper training.

i read into this that the officer involved was not using the equipment correctly. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    It does seem fair that police cyclists need to get some training and experience. Especially those I see riding on the pavements or otherwise illegally.

Then again, why don't they stop patrol cars when there's been a few patrol car accidents?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    I do find that reaction quite random though.

Primarily it is very sad that a young person has lost their life, but what would have been the reaction if his life had been lost while he was pounding the beat, and had been hit by the same lorry whilst stepping out from a footpath?

Seems kneejerk to me - how unusual.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • BentMikey wrote:
    It does seem fair that police cyclists need to get some training and experience. Especially those I see riding on the pavements or otherwise illegally.

Then again, why don't they stop patrol cars when there's been a few patrol car accidents?

Probably because they've had a load of advanced driver training
  • I'm afraid that most bike cops are useless and to be honest as a target, and as they should be spend all there time on "the road" then they should have training.

It's just interesting that H and S say that the police need training but it's OK for the rest of us.

Maybe we don't count, or they don't care, or maybe we won't sue the HS.
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • cupofteacp wrote:
    It's just interesting that H and S say that the police need training but it's OK for the rest of us.
    Most of us don't ride for a living so it's not really anything to do with H&S.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • After seeing some of Greenocks finest patrolling the streets last week I say ban all cops from bikes until they have a clue on what they are doing and can actually go on the road without being a danger as they so clearly are. Mind you doesn't stop the driving like idiots even with the supposed correct training
  • Perhaps if all bobbies did a stint on bikes itwould help them stay in trim! have you seen the size of some of them?

Any hoodie wearing yob would fancy their chances of out running your average PC!!!!!

Too much time spent behind a desk or in a car i think. :lol:
  • How can anyone have less than a years experience on a bike. I'm 32 and have about 27 years experience of riding bikes!!
  • i was thinking the same thing, i reckon i have about 30 years experiance now and I'm 35 8)
  • We now have a "spare" bike at work that is going to be used round the town, and one of the guys is looking forward to getting on it, but has had to wait 3 months to do a cycling proficency test first, to make sure he's up to it......
    Fair enough? Maybe, but during the time he was waiting for the test he did the Paris-Brest-Paris 90 hour run ;-)
    Red tape.......
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Perhaps if all bobbies did a stint on bikes itwould help them stay in trim! have you seen the size of some of them?

Any hoodie wearing yob would fancy their chances of out running your average PC!!!!!

Too much time spent behind a desk or in a car i think. :lol:
    Arnie wrote:
    What's the matter Dillon? The police got you pushing too many pencils?

predator.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Last night a police car with it's lights and siren on, stopped to ask me the way to the local tube station. Which was only 200 yards away and sign posted.

I think they need more than bike training
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness