MTB for 10 year old

pdrolo
pdrolo Posts: 127
edited October 2007 in MTB beginners
My son is quite big for his age - I was going to get him a Raleigh G Zero (24" wheel) - but someone has suggested that a 26" wheel with a small frame is a better value buy - and the GT Agressor xs - sells for around £150 now.

I have always heard that a bike to big - us useless - better to have it too small - But the Agressor is a far better bike - for not much more money....

He wouldn't be doing much off roading, and its more a case of a new bike than getting into MTB

Any advice appreciated
Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Have a look at the Islabikes Beinn, they are properly designed for kids, and they avoid heavy and useless suspension forks. It has 26" wheels but the frame is scaled for a child.
  • pdrolo
    that is nice .....a little more than I wanted to spend though

I suppose as a more general question - is 26" with a small frame a good idea for a 10 year old ?
    Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk
  • pdrolo
    that is nice .....a little more than I wanted to spend though

I suppose as a more general question - is 26" with a small frame a good idea for a 10 year old ?
    Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk
  • alfablue
    If the frame is the right size (reasonable standover height, top tube not too long) I don't think there are great pro's or con's. I reckon the GT looks like the better bike than the Raleigh, though the Beinn should be several notches up in terms of quality and rideability, and would be better for the intended use - I know £250 seems like a lot for a kids bike, but they're worth it :D
  • pdrolo
    The standover height is listed at 64cm - does anyone know where stand over height is measured to & from ? - top tube from the floor ?
    Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk
  • alfablue
    It should be from the top tube infront of the seat, to the floor
  • My 9 year old has an MX24 and is keen to get a proper adult mountainbike and keeps borrowing his mum's full-size Scott Contessa. I reckon if you can find a suitable "Small" sized frame with 26" wheels that's the way to go - he's only going to grow afterall. As for forks I think they are a good idea as it'll give him more confidence on rougher terrain and you never know he might get into it. There are some good value Decathlons with forks. As for weight I am asrounded at the weight of most kids bikes - apparently they make them out of solid iron to keep the cost down! The best bet is to go round a few shops and sit him on different makes of small framed 26" bikes.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • alfablue
    Yes the weight of kids bikes is mad - 12 or 14kg not unusual, unfortunately a lot of this is in the (in my view, useless) suspension forks.
  • Suspension forks certainly do add weight and there is no reason why you can't do some pretty rough stuff without suspension forks however having seen my son face plant after losing control of a bike without front sus I've now got him a bike with front sus which he seems better able to control and is now happy doing things like the red route at Dalby.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Now I think he could do with BIGGER suspension forks!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • alfablue
    But can you actually get a suspension fork that works in any decent way on a £150 bike? Having said that, fashion has dictated that it is nearly impossible to get a kids bike without suspension these days. I managed to get a Dawes 201 Junior with rigid forks earlier in the year, but they are now discontinued.
  • pdrolo
    well the GT aggressor has reasonable forks - RRP £199 - but going for £160 at the moment
    Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk
  • My daughter is 11yrs in November an she is 5ft4" , i was so tired of having to buy her bike which seemed every 2 minutes that i brought her a 456 last yr, 14" and she still rides it. She thinks its the best thing ever.
  • gnvqsos
    gnvqsos Posts: 40
    I have a Trek MTB free to collector which is 18 speed and has canti brakes.It is no toy and very much a scaled down adult bike.I am in Sheffield if you want it-or any other person reading this reply
    John