Recommend me a front mudguard ?

Mog Uk
Mog Uk Posts: 964
edited September 2007 in Commuting chat
Front mudguard needed for my 07 Rockhopper... ( yes I got soaked this morning ! )

I commute on my 07 Rockhopper running a set of set of Schwalbe City Jets, the spray that I get in my face is getting beyond a joke. I've got a rear mudguard, a Crud Catcher mounted right down next to the tyre and this is great... What can I shove on the front to stop the spray ?

Cheers in advance...

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Unfortunately most (all) of the mudguards designed for suspension forks tend not to protect the feet from spray - if you use the bike only for commuting (or mild off-road)you could consider a rigid fork with mudguard mounts and then you can fit some proper full mudguards like SKS Chromoplastic.

You may be able to fit full SKS to a suspension fork (i did this for a while) using large p-clips (might be ruled out if you have disc brakes, maybe will work though). I got 35mm high quality rubber lined stainless steel p-clips from Stagonset.

If you are just worried about face-spray, then this may do the trick.

I fitted some Kona Project 2 forks and SKS to my mtb to "commuterise" it. Both the bike and myself stays much cleaner (especially around the BB and front mech area, which my crud cathchers didn't protect). I can swap back to my SID SL forks for off-roading in about 30 minutes - not ideal, but then 95% of my rides are now commuting or touring.

Ultimately I am "saving up" for a dedicated touring bike then I can return my mtb to its original use, but that will be a long way off given my uselessness at "saving up".