Cornwall

Professorlandslide
Professorlandslide Posts: 23
edited October 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hi, new person etc.

I'm thinking of riding all or part of the cornish way: http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=10272
on my folder (it's 'ruggedised' and anyway i don't have, and couldn't afford to buy another bike). I've cycle toured before, although not for some time (like 15 years), i like to travel light, i place on taking what i can fit in a courier bag, i only envision taking a couple of days...

I'm also sad and have no riding buddies :cry: so two questions, has anybody done it, and does anybody fancy it at some point?
All i wanna do is...

Comments

• I just got back last night after doing from Penzance to Bristol (The Cornish Way and the West Country Way combined...just over 300 miles) in 6 days on a road bike.

I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it. Just be aware that the route is very up and down....lots of short but very stiff climbs. Also, the signage on some of the the cornwall bits is useless (we got completely lost leaving St Austell), i would suggest that it might be worth taking OS maps as well as the sustrans map due to the greater detail. Oh and at one point near the King Harry Ferry) they send you down a crazy off road section that I imagine even hardened MTB'ers would find tough!

If you have any further questions ask away!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • That's cool, thanks! Yeah, i was a bit surprised at the 1:100000 scale of the sustrans map..! Their idea of 'offroad' may be a bit different from mine... You say you did it on road bikes, were there any other bits that you would have felt you needed something a bit more knobbly or is it all pretty well surfaced..?

And of course, any pictures anywhere..?
    All i wanna do is...
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I did this a few years ago on my Airnimal folder, so I may be a little out of date.

It is a superb route. Lots of hard work with the hills, but stunning views and fast downhills as well.

The worst surface is the classic "grit / sand" on a packed base. Can be a little slippery at times, but no great problem.

As a taster;
    http://www.cycle-n-sleep.co.uk/photogallery/wcway.htm

Cycle-n-sleep is a good resource.

Also try http://www.cornishlight.co.uk/cornwall-cycling.htm for more details.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Deckie
    Deckie Posts: 3
    For some reason we tried the section from Marazion to Penzance a couple of weeks ago rather than following the road as usual... BIG mistake, had to get off and push after a hundred yards or so.

The surface is concrete with large diamondish shape cut outs about 4inches accross with rough edges, filled with sand, grit and dog muck. Its also the main dog walking drag out of Penzance so you'll be facing lots of walkers, dogs on short and long leads and loose dogs.

I can't speak for the rest of it, but I wouldn't go on this section again without a pretty strong mountain bike at least.
  • dannygcp
    dannygcp Posts: 151
    Haven't done the Cornish Way, but have cycled a lot in North Cornwall and North Devon. You have to cycle across a lot of steep sided valleys with some very hard ascents and fast decents, so I would personally be wary of doing it on a folder, unless it was a touring folder like an Airnimal.

You definitely need to make sure that your bike has some really low gears to get you up the hills, particularly if you are carrying luggage.