OT Surfing the web with no Ads

Jake the Peg
Jake the Peg Posts: 130
edited September 2007 in The Crudcatcher
Hi,
For Firefox users, read this article in today's Guardian
http://tinyurl.com/3ajplg

I've just installed the AdblockPlus and GoogleCustomize extensions and surfing the internet becomes an eerie and fast experience - they block all the adds and banners that normally flash all over the place.

Try Hotmail for example. Nice and clean now.

If you open the same page with IE, you see all the ads everywhere.

On this forum, all the ads on the right and top have disappeared. Google searches are stripped of side ads.

Very nice!
Jake.

Comments

• Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Or, if you use Opera, right click, select 'block content' and select anything you don't want showing up.

If you're going to insist on blocking ads with a plugin, I'd go with the RIP plugin for Mozilla/Firefox. It stops the browser displaying that element on that page, so wherever the ad originates from, it'll not show up.

Personally, I don't block any ads. None are irritating enough to make me feel the need.

PS: What's this got to do with road cycling?
  • PS: What's this got to do with road cycling?

More time to ride the bike now!
    :D
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It works, thanks for that. All the webpages look so much tidier now.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Thank you! I didnt know about this.

I personally dont have a problem with adverts, but only if they arent obtrusive.
    Eg, Im quite happy with normal text or image based adverts.

The ones i DESPISE are:
    -Those smileycentral ones with the sound ('helloooooo?')
    -And those stupid 'win this game to get a free ipod!!11!11!one!' ads.

I dont know if anyone has tried to play flash games with some of those ads either..
    Have you noticed that the games run at about 10fps? Its because of all the adverts lagging the game. Most games are unplayable if there are ads on the page, even with a 3.00GHz comp.

Anyway.. This thingy seems to be working already, Looks like pure awesomeness to me, hope my hated ads dont appear :D
  • I've been using Adblock Plus for yonks, and the original Adblock before that - wonderful little plugins. :mrgreen:

For anybody who's as paranoid as I am, I'd also recommend NoScript. All scripting disabled by default, can be enabled either temporarily or permanently by domain or object. Lovely.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.