Help new saddle needed

mr_x_plosion
mr_x_plosion Posts: 46
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Hi all, need your help and advice on buying a new saddle.

I have a Scott Sub 20 and have been using the saddle that it came with so far, trouble is bits start to go numb after 20 miles or so.

What makes a more comfy saddle?

I want something that is going to look sport still.

I was looking at the Specialized BG Avatar Gel Saddle
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... l%20Saddle

Any other recommendations around the same price?

Thanks

Nick

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    my understanding is that, for a bloke at least, padding is bad and design is everything.,

With this in mind I bought a specialized Toupe - looks like a torture device, but is actually very comfy indeed!!

I believe the cut-out works to relieve pressure on the bits that don't like pressure the shape of the saddle fits me well and the whole thing kind of flexes, which is nice.
  • I still think that the Brooks B17 is the most comfortable if you plan on long runs BUT if you want something a bit more racy looking, similar to the one in your link, the Selle Strike SMP. They have the centre completely cut out so you can't squash anything! I'm on my third one (different bikes) and and they are better than any Gel types I've used. There are pictures on my website link below.

There is an eBay Shop that sells them.
  • Thanks for the quick replies guys.

The Toupe looks a lot like the one in my link but its over my budget, think I might go for the Avatar, anythings got to be better than what I have now.

Thanks guys, i'll be back with more questions soon.

P.S - what happened to cycling plus forum? My link to it bought me here and my old CP account works.

edit - just realised, 3 different sizes, how do I know what size I need?
  • The basic selle Italia, like the XO have been good for me, although they do only seem to last about 500miles before they start creaking and driving you mad. I commute in normal shorts with no padding and i dont go numb.