Newbie looking for advice over Trek Fuel EX8 or Kona King??

320DMsport
320DMsport Posts: 306
edited September 2007 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking reading the site for a while, great site by the way and lots of interesting topics.

The question i have is i'm looking to spend 1600 quid on a FS bike, is 1600 quid to cheap for a good reasonable weight full susser?

I'm currently on a Kona Cindercone which i've ridden for 4 years and feel i've served my time on HT.

I do like riding a HT as it's simple and handles well, the Kona seems to suit me.

I've got chance of a 2007 Kona King 18 inch but i'm a little short on stand over space on the 18 inch FS although my curent Kona is 18 inch.
The bike has a good spec and is on sale at 1500 quid.

The other bike that has been recommended is the new Trek Fuel ex8 08 at 1600 quid, also has a great spec but never had mucg to do with Treks in the past.

I'm looking for a bike to do cross country on do the odd race event and a blatt down some rough single tracks with mates, would a HT be better for this?

Or maybe you guys could recommend some other good spec bikes for the money that isn't to heavy.

Thanks in advance and any views on the bikes above would be apreciated.

Lee

Comments

• take a look at Cube bikes.
    I had a look at a a xms 100 full sus
    in bike shak, Altrinham £1550 reduced to £1100
    could pick it up with my little finger, soooo nice.
  • Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    I have the Fuel EX 8 and i can tell you that its simply a fantastic bike, Highly recommended. You can ask any of this years Fuel EX owners and they will tell you just how good they are.

You can get the EX 8 for £1099 at evans which is a great price.

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/
  • Thanks chaps.

I've bought a bike today, just come in Trek EX9 2008 in white.

Looks cool and rides brill very happy!
  • L60N
    L60N Posts: 223
    PICS PICS PICS :P :P :P :P
  • I've taken some today som i'll get them uploaded!

It looks the muts nuts in white IMHO. but i am byass
  • Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    Simply Beautiful bike, Excellent choice indeed. If i had the cash i would have bought that same bike myself.

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/
  • Cheers scubar, i went for a quick 10 mile blast tonight to try it out, i love it, when lock out is on it's so firm, no bobbing or anything, my average speed was up too.

Hoping to goto Grizedale next week to try it properly!

this bike will have to last me a while! and it's great to pull wheelies on so my daughter will be happy!

I'll get pics up soon
  • Great choice. Never been a fan of Trek but I think they are on to a winner with the new rear suspension system. Enjoy :P
  • Hi ridethelakes,

Yes i know what you mean about Treks, wasn't a huge fan myself and my mate and i were debating wether or not i'd actually like to own one.

But i treated it with it with open mind wheni went to see it, it does look good and it has a real good spec and like you say the new rear suspension is cracking but most of all it felt right when i was on it, i've had to tweak the seat etc to get it comfy and in a more racier position but on the road with the forks on the lowest setting it feels more racey if you know what i mean.
    I don't like the sit up and beg position.

I didn't dare look at cube etc as i just don't know anyone that has one and i couldn't get a Kona which i like so this one has blown me away once out and about!