Disc Mount Adapters

crazykona
crazykona Posts: 109
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Does the disc adapter have to be made by the same company as the caliper you're using?? Or are they all interchangable?

Thanks
David

I RIDE A G-SPOT!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no any will work with any.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • great thanks
    David

I RIDE A G-SPOT!
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    nicklouse wrote:
    no any will work with any.

Not quite.

They all put the mounts on the correct place, but if you try to use a bulbous caliper (like an HFX9) with Shimano adapters (for example a 203 post mount front), you can get the body of the caliper fouling the adapter.

Safest bet is to buy the right one, cheapest bet is to buy the cheapest one on-line so you can return it if it doesn't work.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    but that is easily fixed with a file. :wink:

got to love all the standards that are not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    nicklouse wrote:
    ....got to love all the standards that are not.

Never a truer word spoken.
  • Splasher
    nicklouse wrote:

Absolutely, and I've done it in the past but without knowing the OP's mechanical credentials I'd hesitate to advise altering a safety critical component :shock: :D
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    Splasher wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Absolutely, and I've done it in the past but without knowing the OP's mechanical credentials I'd hesitate to advise altering a safety critical component :shock: :D

another true word. but when there is a standard why the hell cant they make them all interchangable. like the hope adaptors that wont work with the new Marz post mounts.

TBH i have not had to modify any adaptors yet. but then i dont use hayes.
  • Splasher
    Well I won't be using Hayes much longer either although for £65 an end they've been excellent brakes. A bit wooden but handled the heat in the Alps better than some very popular brakes with contact point adjustment!

Been thinking about Oros for a while and CRC have a sale on. Usually I'm pretty good at avoiding bling but they've got the Greg Minnaar limited edition ones reduced and since my initials are GM, I got sucked in.
  • nicklouse
    you will not be disapointed. in fact you should be shocked.

they are that good.