Disk Brake Positioning

banana_man
banana_man Posts: 49
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently discovered that my rear disk is rubbing against the brake pads and I cannot for he life of me figure out how to fix it. I have bog standard shimano mechanical disks and callipers, but for some reason the disk has started rubbing heavily against the static inside pad. I have tried adjusting the inside screw to move the pad away from the disk but it doesn't go far enough.

Looking at it, i don't think I could have possibly bent the calliper or the even the rear stays, but for some reason it's started rubbing. I recently removed my cassette and tightened the lockring up a fair bit tighter since it seemed rather loose, but I don't see how this could have caused the problem. Can anyone enlighten me as to how this has happened or what I can do to fix it because it's annoying me.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    your wheel may not be seated correctly.

check that first.

if ok then have a look at re aligning the calipers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I've tried reseating the wheel, but it's fine... how do i realign the callipers, do i need some kind of spacer to put in between the calliper and the frame?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Download the instructions for the brake from Shimanos website, will tell you how to do it step by step.
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    i am also having this problem, ive checked the wheel is seated properly and it seems fine, im running Hayes HFX-9 XC with 203mm discs
    help would be much appreciated
    jimbo
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)