stoppies

jacktheoc
jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
edited September 2007 in MTB general
i have been trying to do stoppies now for about 8weeks and just can not get the hang of it i can do endo's easily and can take my feet off while doing it etc.... but every time i go to do a stoppie i get my speed up get the back right up and try and feather the brake but the back just comes straight down, like i said have been practising for ages but have not really got anywhere does anyone have anytips n how to keep the back up while keeping my speed.

Comments

• Go fast and not so much slam the front brake on but apply it quite fiercley, lean forward a bit aswell?!?!?
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    Good luck.......... I can see a bloody nose coming on. :wink:
  • Out of interest, what type of brake are you running, as learning stoppies is really aided by a controlable front brake. Having to use your whole hand to pull it, or having it so grabby it only does on/off won't help.

To start with, forget about getting near the balance point, just get some good speed up, and front brake only slow to a stop real fast (not just jammed on, but controlled hard stop). You should feel all your weight being pushed forward.

From here start to unweight your feet by purring more weight onto your handlebars and the back wheel should start to scrub up and down off the floor.

That is essentially a stoppie, with practise you will learn to get the height, but don't worry about keeping rolling for lots of distance, most stoppies do what they say, slow you down to a stop.

Takes a long while to learn though, but there is no need for any going over the bars or out of controlness, just start low and keep letting the wheel come a little higher.

A good bit of speed will help too, to slow and you will stop almost immediately so won't have time to play with the brake.

Obviously too fast and too much crazyness with the brake won't do much good either :)
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Ryan Leech has some insane bike skills i really do not know how he manages to do some of the things he does, im sure physics say they're not possible!!!!! :wink::D
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    cheers for replys, i have hayes 9's front and rear and have only been bled about 2 weeks ago so are running really sharp!