Cycling with 3 children under age of 4

pansy_pots
pansy_pots Posts: 21
Hi,
I am currently pregnant with my 3rd child due in April. When the baby is born the other 2 will be just under 4 and and 2.5. We have a Chariot trailer which we love and is used for the pre-school run.
I am keen to contunue cycling as soon as possible after the birth and am trying to figure out my best options. Does anyone have experience of using a child seat and a trailer or a kiddyback tandem with a trailer. I am concerned that my 4 year old will be too big for a seat but too small for a tandem.
I will be getting him a bike of his own soon (currently scoots along well pedal free) but think the chool run may be a tad too far - about 1.5 miles
Any advice welcome!

Vicky
Vicky
Trying to cycle with 3 under 5's

Comments

• nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    How do you have the energy to cycle ?
  • It is really flat here and we only potter about but it is a serious sanity saver! The fresh air really helps with morning sickness
    Vicky
  • There is a woman I see regularly who cycles with a double tag-along followed by a two kid trailer hitched. :roll: She tells me she doesn’t drive and it’s the best way to get around. I’ve only seen her on cycle paths and pavements. I live in Portobello, “Edinburgh’s Seaside” and we have a nice cycle path up to the city centre called the innocent railway path.

I have two kids and now my five year-old is too big for long trailer journeys and wants to copy the above set-up. Although the path is pretty good there are short stretches on the road and I think this long vehicle would be just too dangerous.

I’m pretty fit commuting 40+miles to and from work and train moderately seriously. With just two kids in the trailer I hit unbelievably low gears on slight hills as it is. The other worry I would have is jacknifing. I must take a photo of this ultimate family cyclist. My own thoughts are more along the line of looking for either a child back or tandem with kid cranks. I think a child seat and trailer would be safe enough if you have the legs for it
    :)
  • Thanks windbreaker - I would also be concerned attaching the trailer to the tag along. Has anyone any advice on how young a child can use a childback tandem or a tandem with Kiddy cranks?
    Vicky
  • Ian Sims
    Ian Sims Posts: 735
    I've just got my son, who will be 4 at the end of December to ride our tandem with kiddy cranks. He managed the 8 km to day care this morning on his second ride. I guess if your eldest could ride with kiddy cranks then that would leave the other two for the trailer.