Servicing Rear shocks

Jack Sprat
Jack Sprat Posts: 57
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I recently bought myself a dh bike as I think that is where i am headed bike wise and it came with an old Rockshox prodeluxe rear shock (with the piggyback thing on it). As the bike is second hand i thought it would be wise to give the shock a service but it seems this will cost me upwards of £50 and that is money i don't have. I also can't find a manual or a good guide to servicing shocks anywhere on the internet.

I was wondering whether you could help me, equally it may not be possible for me to service it myself in which case please do tell me!

Thanks

Jack

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Rear shocks generally can't be serviced at home. Ride the bike first, it might not even need a ervicing, but if it does, it might be worth replacing it with something like a second hand Fox Vanilla, which are said to be far more reliable.
  • it can be ridded but teh oil level needs to be topped up as the rebound doesn't damp the last 0.5inch of the shock's stroke. I have taken the spring off but i don't know how and where to top up the oil.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you dont.

send it of to TF for a service.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown