Right pain in the knee

tomfoolery
tomfoolery Posts: 56
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
Firstly hello everyone. I've been recommended the cycling plus forum by a guy at my LBS. Is this it? I can't see C+ logos anywhere...

Anyway, I've been commuting every day since April when I first gave it a try. Most days I do around 6 miles each way (either side of a train ride), although some days I ride all the way home making 6 + 15 miles.

When my season ticket ran out last week I rode in and home one day, and then in again the next morning, so 3 x 15mi in a row. After doing this I got (and still have) pain in my right knee. The pain is like a sharpish ache (if that makes sense), and is distributed in the 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock area if you imagine a cross section through the knee.

This also happened last year when I did occasional commutes by a different route. I use SPD cleats (on MT40 shoes with VP pedals) and am suspicious that the cleat position under my right shoe is out. My left knee never hurts.

Does this sound likely to anyone, and how do you go about tweaking it? I variously feel I need to rotate the toe out, or move my whole shoe away from the crank, or move it slightly forward or backward. The bolts have seized but I can sort that out.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
I've forgotten my PIN for the pain barrier.

Comments

• Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    Welcome to the forum, yeah this is whats happened to C+ a lot of the members are on another forum too, cyclechat. Tweaking your knee sounds very plausible; I'll be interested to hear other peoples view. Ive done over 4500 miles this year no problem then suddenly about 6 weeks ago I developed a similar pain. It seems to appear after 10miles or so or a steep hill. I think it could be cleat position too. I think I had them too straight but in my case they should be rotated to allow my toes to point out.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Lots of causes of Knee pain, mine was caused by the fact that my feet splay naturally (something I had never been aware off before) caused by collapsed arches in my feet - of which I also was never aware. In my case I went to see a sport injury person who diagnosed the problems and got myself some insoles which have cured the problem.
  • Aidocp
    DavidTQ wrote:
    Lots of causes of Knee pain, mine was caused by the fact that my feet splay naturally (something I had never been aware off before) caused by collapsed arches in my feet - of which I also was never aware. In my case I went to see a sport injury person who diagnosed the problems and got myself some insoles which have cured the problem.
    I'm heading to the Physio/ Edin Uni Sports Injury clinic today
  • Aidocp
    The physio diagnosed for me some pattellar problem. Its basically caused by the muscles in my right leg being larger than the left, therefore the left has becaome taught and the muscle that runs over the front of the patellar is being pulled to one side. I've been given some excercise that will hopefully sort it.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    I had the identical thing - it was causing 'runners knee', according to my physio. I have exercises... :roll:

I also adjusted my bikefit/geo. I had my saddle too far forward, and a little too high. My angles on my cleats were out. If you are doing high miles, get a bike fit. If you can't be bothered, at least look up how to do a bike fit youself (google) and go from there.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Aidocp
    Thanks Baudman, I've found the place closest to me that does a bike fit. As I'll be off the road bike for a while :( I'm not in too much of a rush but I will go, just a spot of light commuting (14km round) for me in the meantime, with open toe clips.
  • Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to track down somewhere which'll do a fit. Once I've done that if it's no better I'll go and see an expert.
    I've forgotten my PIN for the pain barrier.
  • Not eactly the same thing but could be related.

My missus rides horses and has started going a lot more recently and started getting pains in both knees.

A physion said that it was due to the extra exercise training particula muscles and changing the position of the kneecap or knees or something. You may be getting the same thing in your right leg.

Do you cycle one legged? :D