Freehub Service Questions

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I have looked through on parks site and i have a few querys,first is a shimano freehub. Now the site says to remove the seal on the back then flush the freehub body to remove dirt using solvent. But which solvent should i use GT85, WD40 or a Degreaser ?? with the degreaser i would have to use water after to flush the rest out.

The site also says "Use a liquid lubricant in the back side and front. Spin freehub to work lube inside." again what here ?? GT85, WD40 or something like Weldtite's Teflon Spray ??

The guide mentions that the freehub body use's a loose bearing system, now if i shake the freehub body i can hear a rattleing is this normally due to the loose bearing system??

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i just pump some bearing grase in as needed.

the rattle could be the pawls moving.sheldon has info on the freehubs as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'll check sheldons site. So just injecting just bearing grease in will do fine, what about cleaning it out as park suggest's flushing it out with some solvent or dont you bother, just inject some new grease in.

How can you tell if a freehub needs replacing ?? i know if there some slipping when peddle but what about without peddleing, is there a good way to tell then?
  • nicklouse
    either it works or it does not work.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • That simple....

I've checked sheldons site and i cant seem to find anything that mentions a slight rattle when i shake the freehub body.
  • nicklouse
    like i said it could be the pawls or it could just be the bearings as there is no cage to hold them.
  • OK thanks... I'll have to get the grease out now i lubricate it before i put it back.