Best Rucksak For £50!?

steve23
steve23 Posts: 2,202
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
i am going on a weekend away with my cycling club, and i need a bag to carry my stuff!!!

i dont want panniers, so obv. a rucksak would be ideal, and i could use it for work etc.

anyway, what do you recommend? i would like one with a starp that goes around your middle, aswel as shoulder straps, so the bag will be more stable!

i need to be able to fit in trousers, shirt, shoes etc and all other essentials!

so, any suggestions!!??!!??!?? 50 quid seems about tops though!!!

thanks!
_______________________________________________________________________________________
If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Deuter do a great range of rucksacs for cycling
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com
    Their own make revolution rucksacks always get good reviews in bike mags,might be worth a look.3 prices from £30 to £50. Type in product codes 6397,4102 and 6396
  • You don't have to be looking at cycling specific shops. Millets do a good range of bags, I seem to remember a Berghaus one in there around the £45/50 mark with a fancy breathable back design, specifically designed for use on a bike. Of course going to a high street shop means you will pay a bit more, but at least you can see what you are getting.
  • steve23
    steve23 Posts: 2,202
    banana_man thanks, thats good advice!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!
  • My Deuter pack (Bike 1) is about 22ltrs and at 5 years old shows no signs of wearing out yet.

Top product, about £50 and the nice bike specific things come in handy (helmet carrier, attachment for lights etc..)
  • I would warn against the Berghaus ones. I have a freeflow 20 with the breathable back. The back is good, thats why I got it. But the zippers are very cheap and have broken. I've tried getting it repaired but no-one can do it. So its £40 down the pan in less that a year. Its not even close to waterproof either. Overall I think its quite poorly made and expensive.
  • I have a EBC one and it is made by Vaude. It is light weight, has all the bits including helmet hammock, rain cover, take a bladder and has loops for lights. It is 20L + expandable to 25L. Highly recommended.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • My EBC Revolution Stow Sport is still going strong after 4 years, only replaced recently by a Stow Expert because I needed a bit extra space. Can't recommend them highly enough. Made by Vaude and identical in every way to their own Alpin rucksacks but nicer colours and £10 cheaper.
  • I'd recommend getting one where the main closure is a buckle(s), rather than zip(s). The zip was always the point where previous rucsacs of mine eventually fell apart. (The only fabric disintegration I've had is where a rat chewed thru the base of the rucsac--but that's another story.) The only downside of buckle-closing sacks is the contents are a bit less accessible, ie you can only get in at the top rather than the zip opening most of the way round.

Get one with compression straps or other means of scrunching the bag down. Helps to stabilise the contents, and means that you can have extra capacity *just in case* without having an overlarge bag flapping around the rest of the time. 25L is a fairly sensible/mainstream size. It should have a chest strap as well as a waist strap (most reputable bags at this size have both.

I'd agree about not looking only at sacks sold as 'cycling' ones. Eg climbing sacks share the cycling concern about a streamlined profile, and are usually made of tough material. Some of the designs eg Deuter seem to be very good for the breathability and load-bearing, a potential downside being that you can't fold them up when empty (not a problem for everyone, but important for me). Personally, I also don't go much for having loads of pockets--although a couple of small zipped ones for things like keys are pretty crucial given that there are none on bike shorts.

My previous bag was a 25L KIMM: great, and only replaced due to loss (just because something is blue&yellow, doesn't mean you'll see it on the side of a mountain.... :cry: ). Have had my current 30L Salomon skiers' one for 4 years: is showing signs of wear but then it's had a very hard life. A factor in its longevity has been the reinforced (even if not ratproof) base. Both sacks were just under £50, from outdoors shops.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    The KIMM sacks are excellent - I have a 25L one and the missus has a 35L one. The sacks weigh next to nothing, are hard wearing and pack away very small indeed. Useful side mesh and zips on the waistband. The cradle back support works very well indeed. They are now sold in the guise of OMM http://www.theomm.com/packs.html and I think you can pick them up for around £35.
  • My Revolution stow from EBC is great, still going strong after 3 years +, gets used every day for commute. Suspended back ting works very well
    Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable
  • Waterproof :D I cannot understand why this does not get done more. What is the point of a cover when you could just use material that is waterproof. Its not like it has to be breathable like a jacket. Any old PU coated nylon will do.
  • I have a Forclaz 30 air from Decathlon

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/Product_a ... ndex.html#

They also sell a 40L version for £35 depending upon your needs.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/Product_a ... index.html

They have a rain cover and not too sweaty on the back.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I would warn against the Berghaus ones. I have a freeflow 20 with the breathable back. The back is good, thats why I got it. But the zippers are very cheap and have broken. I've tried getting it repaired but no-one can do it. So its £40 down the pan in less that a year. Its not even close to waterproof either. Overall I think its quite poorly made and expensive.
    Oh dear. Not good news for me.
    Been away in the Lakes for a long weekend. Got soaked to the skin whilst walking on Monday so popped into Ambleside and bought a Berghaus Freeflow20 (plus a host of other stuff). Chose it over a NorthFace model of a similar price.
    Hmm, its a canny trek back to Ambleside for a refund too. :(
  • It does come with a rain cover but why are rucsacs not made of waterproof material? If you treat it carefully it should last I guess. I used mine at least 5 days a week and the zip broke within a year. I have another Oakley one that I've had for years and used everyday. The zip is chunky and works fine. I got the Berghaus because I wanted to keep my back cool. It works and is very comfy but the zip is just no good imo.