Replacing bike forks - what size?

centuryfox
centuryfox Posts: 11
edited September 2007 in Commuting chat
I know this is going to sound dumb to all you long time hard core tecno-savvy cycle types, but how do I find out the correct size of fork to replace my old one with (short of taking it to my local bke shop and saying give me one of these). I'm interested in buying new forks fron a supplier on Ebay but there seems to be such a wide variety I'm confused. My bike is a El chepo hybrid from Halfords I bought a few years ago - nothing special but it works fine for knocking around on. It currentl has a Zoom suspension fork which I really dont need for the sort of riding I'm doing on this bike.
Thanks!
s.o\'hara

Comments

• so what are you wanting the bike to do / using the bike for?

if your wanting to put a ridgid fork on it then measure from the axle to the crown (bolt / scewer to bottom of head tube)

a fork with a distance similar to this would be the best fit / bet i'd guess
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • Forks are sold by wheel size. So once you have chosen the model of fork you want, make sure it is the right size for your wheel - probably 26".

You also need to know whether it is an older threaded steerer tube, or the more modern unthreaded (A-head) steerer tube, and also the steerer tube diameter (measure the old one).

In terms of travel, go for a fork with a similar amount of travel to the old one, to avoid upsetting the frame angles.

New forks come with uncut steerer tubes for you to cut to length. If you buy second hand it will already have been cut, so you need to make sure there is enough steerer length to pass all the way through the headset bearings and head tube, and if it is the unthreaded type it needs enough to pass through the stem and spacers as well.

Check out the Park Tools website for details of how to fit, or nip it down to your LBS if you're not sure.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.