Crossroad

paddymorrison
paddymorrison Posts: 4
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Hello, I have just started cycling to work. It's all very well until I get to crossroads. I just don't know how to turn at a crossroad. Turning left is ok because I am on the left already. But how am I supposed to turn right? I don't know what to do when there are cars on my right and/or cars coming from the opposite direction. Advice please! Cheers.

Comments

• ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    if your turning right as you approach the crossroads you need to signal with your right arm and move to the right hand side of your lane when it is safe to do so.This stops cars being on your right hand side.Stop at the give way markings on the road,staying to the right side of your lane move away when it is safe to do so.Cars coming from the opposite direction treat with caution.Many cars do not indicate their intentions, some indicate left or right but drive straight on.Always assume they haven't seen you,because some don't.Show authority on the road and be positive in your actions but do not be agressive or take risks.If your not confident you could always walk the bike over the junctions until you feel ready to try cycling.Above all my advice is be safeuse lights and reflectives in the dark and enjoy your commute.
  • Thanks! So, basically I have to go the right of the lane to let people know I am turning right and I will have to wait for all cars to stop before I turn. Is that right?
  • ash68
    If you approach the crossroads from the minor road i.e.the give way sign and the give way markings are infront of you then yes give way to all traffic.If you are on the main road turning right into the minor road only give way to traffic coming towards you.But as I say don't expect cars to always see, you, make sure it is safe and be careful 8) [/quote]
  • I had the same problem. It got so bad that I could only turn left on a ride, once I went on for 246 miles before I got back home, I was really lucky that there was a left turn just outside musselborough otherwise I would have gone into the sea.

Then I discoved time trailing. You don't make right turns - its great!! OK you need to deal with roundabouts but I learnt from a seasoned vet -12 hour ted, who said you just shut your eyes and carry on.

Thing is I've now worn out my damn headset on one side only.
  • ash68
    Nice one bigmug :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Hello, I have just started cycling to work. It's all very well until I get to crossroads. I just don't know how to turn at a crossroad. Turning left is ok because I am on the left already. But how am I supposed to turn right? I don't know what to do when there are cars on my right and/or cars coming from the opposite direction. Advice please! Cheers.

Do you drive at all? If so approach this situation as you would in a car.

Whether you drive or not at the very least get a copy of the Highway Code, most situations you'll find yourself in will be covered in it.
    Tarpaullynn
  • Thanks for all the replies! I don't drive, so the highway code is a very good idea. I will try what you guys told me tomorrow. Will be extra careful. Cheers!
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Here's how to turn right Bikeradar style: http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ioning-197
    (It's down at the bottom)
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill