cleaning my road bike

cart71
cart71 Posts: 21
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
heh guys anybody got any good ideas for cleaning my beloved road bike

:D cheers

Comments

• Chamois leather, a bit of spray and a hose pipe are all I use. Then spray some WD40 onto the mechs etc to clean them, and apply a light covering of oil. If you really wanna pimp your ride, polish it and get some gold alloy wheels ;)
  • I hear the muck-off is great . Designed for motorcyles and MTB, but i'm told also great for Road.
  • Whatever you use its always easier to wash it soon as you come back from a run,especially in the wet.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    During winter im getting in the habit of after every ride on wet or v dirt roads, i spray water on the frame to remove big bits of dirt, then use 2 wet wipes to wipe down the wheels and the frame.

Then I lightly spray some teflon spray over rustable parts to shed any water left in them (do this 1 a week), then i get an old cloth and run the chain thru it- gets rid of most of the muck and I re -lube m chain.

This takes a max of 15 minutes and will mean your bike stays tip top and you can resist cleaning it for at least a few months.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Whatever you use its always easier to wash it soon as you come back from a run,especially in the wet.

Especially when it comes to getting rid of spillage from drink bottles. The salts and sugars can set like concrete if you are using energy drinks!
  • johnno_uk wrote:
    I hear the muck-off is great . Designed for motorcyles and MTB, but i'm told also great for Road.

It's a great product but be warned - over time my over-enthusiatic application of it to the cassette on my Spesh Enduro comp completely stripped the grease out of the hub bearing and freehub body. Use with extreme caution near bearings!!!!!
  • johnno_uk wrote:
    I hear the muck-off is great . Designed for motorcyles and MTB, but i'm told also great for Road.

It's a great product but be warned - over time my over-enthusiatic application of it to the cassette on my Spesh Enduro comp completely stripped the grease out of the hub bearing and freehub body. Use with extreme caution near bearings!!!!!

It is pretty strong stuff . I dilute it .
    Luke
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I wipe wet bike down after use. Then use 'wipes' meant for all purpose or vehicle use. They remove oil fairly well too. I never need to 'wash' the bike as such. I sometimes use rags and a diluted car shampoo applied with the cloth then a wet wipe with plain water if it';s particularly mucky. No spraying with a hose or dowsing in water is needed though. For the chain I use a proper chain cleaning tool (filled with a degreaser) and for the chain set/sprockets I use a rag dipped in a degreaser. Dry well then apply lube to chain and WD40, or, even better, a thin lube to all moving parts (pivot points on derailleurs)
  • Same as above, use hose to wash down, then ensure you make sure no water left in frame or your bottom bracket will not last long!!!
  • Same as above, use hose to wash down, then ensure you make sure no water left in frame or your bottom bracket will not last long!!!

and under no circumstances should you attempt to drink the cleaner either... :wink:

sorry David, couldn't resist! when are you over these parts again, its about time we did another sunday training ride and I whoop your ass over the hills again... :wink:
  • Yes I can almost still taste the de greaser :D
    I was down on velodrome last week doing training and acreditation with Courtney ready for winter series.
    I am coming down in 2 weeks for the Autumn Epic so you can keep up on those climbs :D
    I was down on velodrome last week doing training and acreditation with Courtney ready for winter series.
    I am coming down in 2 weeks for the Autumn Epic so you can keep up on those climbs :D
    I was down on velodrome last week doing training and acreditation with Courtney ready for winter series.I am coming down in 2 weeks for the Autumn Epic so you can keep up on those climbs :D

I was going to do thia last may :oops:

Any idea when the newport phoenix start their wednesday night drop in?