Cycling Sartorial Elegence

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited September 2007 in The bottom bracket
When you're buying cycle clothing do you go for particular colours/manufacturers? or just what's available?

The missus tells me off for being a ponce(I don't think she's that used to me being in lycra) I wear matching gear with only a limited colour selection (red/black and a hint of white)

For example motorcyclists will often match their leathers with their bike...
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just colours really. With me it is blue, white and black.
  • I go for colour matching outfits even down to having the right colour gloves. I figure that I might as well look good whilst I'm riding. :D
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Colour matching outfits for me... Mostly blacks & greys, might chuck in a coloured top if I'm feeling adventurous...

Even my motorbike has to match, all my leathers, gloves, boots, helmet are Blue & White...

Might be poncey but by god I look good in the mirror :D
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I've got numerous types of shorts - all black - but I'm only going to buy assos from now on as they've stopped my bits getting sore and for that, they're definitely worth twice what I paid for them.
    For tops I usually get something in mens size that looks girly - pink giro italia tops for example.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I go for colour matching outfits even down to having the right colour gloves. I figure that I might as well look good whilst I'm riding. :D

hell yeah inc shoes and helmet for me... they match my bike a treat
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Put it the other way, wearing shorts and top that don't match looks so wrong! Ask your missus if she would consider going out without a matching bag and shoes?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Put it the other way, wearing shorts and top that don't match looks so wrong! Ask your missus if she would consider going out without a matching bag and shoes?

blimey - I do this all the time. I'm just happy to have a pair of shoes that fit my ridiculous feet.
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    For example motorcyclists will often match their leathers with their bike...
    Oddly enough, in my motorcycling days I used to deliberately avoid matching helmet / leathers / bike if at all possible. Makes you look like a born-again-biker who's bought the bike and gear all at once in the same shop (either that or a retired gent on a Goldwing).

I was more of an "Ogri" - blue jeans, black boots, black jacket, random helmet and gloves, bike whatever colour it happened to be. 8)
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    The style police :) are everywhere, looking for riders with smart road bikes displaying

-helmets with visors
    -grey city socks, with mtb shoes
    -calf length socks
    -shirts and shorts that don't match
    -just plain naff shirts
    -bum bags

There was a thread on the old C+ site debating style which might be a good starting point
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Black / white / red for me.

Rather fond of the ProBikeKit team wear.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    When cycling I only ever go out in a mixture of Aldi's and Asda's finest.
  • I'm the guy who bought a full kit with two jerseys in 'Liberty Seguros' colours - a few weeks before the sponsor pulled out due to a dope scandal!! Colours are nice though.

Remember turning up for my first TT and being lambasted by a '12 hour Ted' for not having white socks.