Help needed on uprading my commuter bike wheels

henrybloomfield
henrybloomfield Posts: 4
edited September 2007 in Commuting chat
I would like, one day, to get better, lighter wheels for my bike which I use for my regular commute to work. However, I may be in a trap of having old components and having to upgrade more than I want to... My rear wheel has the old-style hub, with a 6-speed Shimano freewheel screwed onto it. Everything now seems to be based around freehubs which take 9/10 speed cassettes. If I go down this route, I'd end up having to get a new cassette and would then need a new (thinner) chain, and possibly a new derailieur as well(?). If you add the cost of reasonable wheels this is getting towards the cost of a new bike. So, is it impossible now to get good quality old-style wheels which I can screw my existing cassette to?

The rest of the bike: frame and forks are Holdsworth - Reynolds 531 tubing from about 1980, with flat bars. Just a single chainring at the front and a gear lever on the downtube.

- HB

Comments

• A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    I'd pop down to your local bike shop and get them to compare the new components to your old ones.
    FCN 10
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I upgraded, my old 10 speed is now a 27 speed. Yes, it needs a thinner chain but you'll need to replace the chain at some point anyway so upgrade then. Possibly you'll need a new mech too, but if you keep the old friction shifters there'll be no indexing problems.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    You can use spacers on the freehubs - i.e buy a 7 speed sprocket set and then use an additional spacer to fill out the freehub.. Mavic wheels support 8-10 speed, but if you have an extra spacer, you'll get away with 7 speed. As you have friction leavers, you'll be OK to go to 8 speed - uses the same chain width.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Yes, you can still get nice old style wheels. Most of them will be used though. Some nice Campagnolo hubs one decent rims would be great. Your LBS would be able to redish them for a 7 speed freewheel. There are probably any number on fleabay right now for a pittance. There aren't that many nice freewheel hubs still in production, but NOS ones are all over the place.