cyclo cross starting to look like 'good fun' do I need help?

robbie the roadie
robbie the roadie Posts: 423
edited October 2007 in The bottom bracket
After looking at pictures from last years three peaks race I founbd myself starting to admit to myself that it all actually looks like a good laugh. Digging a bit deeper I discover that there's actually quite a decent local scene near me that I could take part in should I wish.

Fortunately I'm not in possession of a 'crosser so hopefully the moment will pass :lol:
Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.

Comments

• Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    I have a crosser that might be for sale later this year.......
    If that helps :?
  • ha ha don't tempt me.

Fit someone 6'1" :wink:
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    something I've wondered about cyclocross it's just a lot more difficult than using a mtb isn't it?

what are the benefits?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    something I've wondered about cyclocross it's just a lot more difficult than using a mtb isn't it?

what are the benefits?

Hihg intensity and relatively short; requires/creates great bike handling skills; gives you a reason to be getting out during the winter; is very friendly version of the sport; it welcomes kids and families; if you get too tired to run up steep slope you can get off and rest while running up it; it gives you a lot of practice in cleaning a bike
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • I've had a Kinesis cross frame in the attic since about 2001, but its now sitting in the living room built up with bits I had hanging about, bits from here and a few bits from ebay :) and very nice it looks to :) all built up for about £120 excluding frame :)

There's a good racing series locally so I'll be entering this year after a very long layoff from cyclecross :shock: should be fun though and keep me fit over the winter :) then next year I'm determined to enter my first Triathlon :)

p.s most races will let you enter on a MTB :)
    We're running the London Marathon in aid of visually impaired children please sponsor us if you can at http://www.virginmoneygiving.com/HelenJonesVICTA
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    I still reckon that a good cyclo-cross bike is the ultimate go anywhere, do anything bike!

Shame that the 3p's has been cancelled this year due to foot & mouth outbreak.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    bryanm wrote:
    I still reckon that a good cyclo-cross bike is the ultimate go anywhere, do anything bike!

I've made a couple of cyclo-cross references on here, but am still very much in the dark, about the specific bikes.
    I initally really liked the look of the Spech tri-cross, but have since decided against getting one, but as yet have not seen any of it's rivals.

What/who should I be looking at, for good entry level bike?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I sold my MTB and use a cross bike for offroad these days - you get a lot more satisfaction riding a technical route on a crosser with skinny tyres rather than just blatting-it with a fat-tyred full susser. Apart from really rough downhills, i can keep up with mates on MTBs and can in fact leave then behind on technical uphills where being able to flick and lift the front end is a big advantage.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    What are you riding Monty, &, does it have Campagnolo. As judging by your sig, we have a couple of things in common.
  • I actually saw a cyclocross rider yesterday. He looked in pain.