Forums - what benefits?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2007 in Campaign
I notice that a lot of magazines these days have their own forum. I was wondering what are the benefits to the host website? I hardly ever look at the home page even though the BR pages are far superior to what existed before.

Comments

• You haven't noticed the adverts on the forum pages then? :wink:

Actually, I was wondering this very morning if forums in general are a good idea. I had a minor difference of opinion with a taxi on my way to work and it crossed my mind that I could come on here, recount the experience and probably get plenty of support for my point of view about the incident. In the meantime, he could be on the taxidriver.com (or whatever) forum doing exactly the same. The end result is the two groups reinforcing each other's prejudices and the gulf just getting wider.

'Course, reinforcing each other's prejudices is half the fun of being here... :twisted:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • I started reading and posting -mainly on the road gear know-how forum- a little while ago to learn more about bikes, and looking after bikes. So far I've learned that to question "those in the know" will result in abuse, and not much else. Certainly fairly direct and simple questions go unanswered.

One thing I like about forums is that it underlines the fact that published journalism isn't so bad, after all.

Interestingly the owner's club forum of the car I own has been useful - if you ask what colour something is, what it weighs, what's the point, someone offers an answer. A friend of mine maintains that competitive road cyclists are the most unfriendly people. I disagreed (we were in fact being friendly to each other :D ), but I figure he's right, based on Bike Radar's forum for the smug-amongst-us-with-the-knowledge. (MTBers, are, not unexpectedly, the absolute opposite). But, it is fair to say that forums are not the place for open minded, objective discussion. Or polemical fun.
  • pliptrot wrote:
    So far I've learned that to question "those in the know" will result in abuse, and not much else. Certainly fairly direct and simple questions go unanswered.
    I suspect that often depends on the tone with which the questions are asked. The people who give advice on this forum do so of their own free will - they aren't receiving payment for their consultancy and are perfectly entitled to ignore any questions they like for any reasons they choose.
    pliptrot wrote:
    *snip* ... based on Bike Radar's forum for the smug-amongst-us-with-the-knowledge.
    Every post of yours I've seen so far has included a comment similar to this (I'll grant you I've not bothered to go looking for more of your posts to increase the sample). Personally, I've disagreed with prominent and established members of this forum on a variety of issues; including (among others) helmet use, high visibility clothing, the usability of Apollo mountain bikes and even whether or not copper assembly paste is technically a grease! I may or may not have talked anyone round to my point of view, but I've always found the discussion to be open and friendly. Could this be an attitude thing once again?
    pliptrot wrote:
    But, it is fair to say that forums are not the place for open minded, objective discussion. Or polemical fun.
    Nope, it is fair to say that forums are exactly the place for open minded, objective discussion - just don't be surprised if you don't change anyone's mind! And without entrenched opinions, how can there be such a thing as polemical* fun?

*Yes, I do know what 'polemical' means, but I doubt you're endearing yourself to other forum users by deliberately using obscure terms. Since you're the first to complain about gear snobs, perhaps dropping the intellectual snobbery may help?
  • It's great to see that we ar going to get some open minded forum use. Can you tell me when it's going to start?

Thanks for your kind input. I'm grateful for your help in reducing my expectations.
  • Oh pliptrot, the biting sarcasm of your scathing response has reduced me to tears...

Except it hasn't.

Since you obviously know best, I'll leave you to carry on making new friends. :mrgreen:
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    These forums are a problem in that they have a style that can be "robust" and opinions differ.

Quite often though there is a light hearted abuse that can be mistaken. I have abused the riders of the fixed wheel (an absurd corruption of the efficient bicycle) and others have abused my recumbents (and engineering revolution and not as stated by others an absurd corruption of the efficient bicycle)

These friendly rivalries and banter can be mistaken as abuse, and perhaps this is a problem?

In other cases there are ways to get peoples backs up with provocative postings and comments. Often these may again be well meant, but in some cases not.

This is not a personal attack, but a comment - but as an opening gambit, putting in your first post on a thread ( http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=14609031&highlight=#14609031) ) the following statement (
    "Trek OCLV; the original and still the best. Might not be super hip with the bike snobs who post here, but I can find no evidence to refute that statement.
    was seen as provocative - rightly or wrongly, but it certainly seems to criticise the motives of anyone who disagrees wit the statement and hence a few responses were critical of your post.

To assess this or any other forum you have to look at the wider experience, the values to others as well as yourself.

Read the present forum and archives, there are people who have
      bought new bikes sourced parts have new trailers modified bikes for special or personal needs been on rides ridden a Century planned group rides started commuting met other cyclists for a beer or tea and cakes booked accommodation taken tour and holidays learnt new techniques solved problems as diverse as computers to legal matters GOT MARRIED!

SO as a whole I think these forums are not a printed factual statement with an agenda or platform to meet, but an independent valuable resource.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)